Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

sheltie adoption

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by charrony62, Feb 2, 2016.

1. charrony62

charrony62 Forums Novice

Feb 2, 2016
    southern,AZ
    Hello.:smile2::smile2: We are glad to join. The reason we are here, we are looking for another sheltie to adopt. We are located in southern AZ, and not to many shelties here.
    We lost our last sheltie about a year and have not been able to find another one. We do miss having one as our companion. We are looking for one, that is about 35# and 4-9 years of age, and prefer tri color or sable. We have tried out of state with out any response.
    Any help in locating our next buddy would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks, Lonesome without a Sheltie :(:(

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I understand your dilemma!

Many rescue groups will not allow there dogs to go out of state.

Sometimes they will not respond to your inquiries due to that fact! I do not know if this is the case here. But, I have run across this issue many times as I have been adopting rescued shelties over the years.:cry:

I hope you are able to find a new buddy soon. Maybe the links Trini provided you will help!

All I can say is, I was BLESSED to have PSSR Rescue in OHIO allow me to adopt my Mr Chance! He is the love of my life! I live in MI so it was an out of state adoption! I THANK GOD they allowed him into my life.

I do wish some rescues would allow out of state adoptions with great references and being previous sheltie owners understand the breed... they could help so many more sheltie! :yes:

4. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    It may be that the rescues you contacted don't currently have any Shelties that fit your requirements.

Most rescues will try hard to match the owner with a compatible Sheltie, and many will do out of state adoptions. They are however, a little more complicated (arranging a home visit for example). Additionally, I don't think any legitimate rescues will ship their dogs, so the owner has to arrange to make the car trip to pick the new dog up.

Some dogs simply aren't good candidates for long distance adoptions, due to temperament or health issues.

It may take awhile to find your new furry friend, but it will be worth it!