Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie coats

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by kazie, Nov 5, 2018.

1. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    My sister-in-law says there are two kinds of Sheltie coats - fitted and full. Is this true? If so, what does it mean and how do I know which kind of coat my puppy, Luna, will have when she is full grown. She's 4 months old now. I'd post a picture but I'm new to the forum and haven't figured out how to do that yet. Thanks.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Welcome Kazie. To post a picture directly in your post you need to be a Premium Member. Otherwise you can save your photo to a free photo sharing site - like photobucket or flickr - and then paste the link into your post on Sheltie Forums. Like this http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo171/cp_2412/Xmas08016.jpg People are more than happy to follow a link

As for coat types. I've never heard of fitted and full. Every Sheltie has 2 coats - and undercoat (the soft fluffy stuff they grow in winter and lose in summer) and guard hairs which are the long outer coat they grow for years. As for different Shelties having different coats, not sure about that as the outer coats are meant to be coarse (although my female has a soft coat).

ghggp likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I've never heard of that either -- I suspect that's just a personal terminology. As Caro said, the ideal Sheltie coat should have coarse outer hair that easily sheds water and dirt, and a soft undercoat for warmth and summer cooling (which is why you never shave a Sheltie!). However, coats vary widely. My Beckon has the perfect full Sheltie coat. He always looks freshly groomed, and we can't even tell if he's dirty unless he starts to smell. Layla has a silky coat that also sheds water well. Penny has a soft, heavy coat, but it's almost frizzy and isn't long or flow-y. Bitsy has a velcro coat that collects everything!!

Some Shelties have a mature coat at nine months. Others don't get a mature coat for a couple of years -- and it seems that the older they get, the more coat they get. Layla had a lovely coat at six months, but Bitsy looked motheaten until she was over a year old!

I'm sure Luna will be lovely -- can't wait to see her!

ghggp likes this.
  4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am not familiar with that terminology either!

Welcome to the Sheltie forums.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Never heard that either!

My Laddie was the only sheltie I ever owned who had a sparse coat with little undercoat but a silky top coat. He was neutered way too early and I believe that is why he never coated up!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, that is true, and it's usually applied to bitches. We sometimes call a girl's coat "fitted" when it's closer to her body than the more frequently seen poufy coat, which most males have. Both coat types are correct, and both are still double coats.

kazie and danisgoat like this.
  7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Interesting! Thanks for that info.

8. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    Thanks, Ann. In doing more research, that is what I found. It seems a "fitted" coat has nothing to do with the undercoat/topcoat but with how closely the coat aligns to the body conformation. The article I read also made clear either coat is correct, neither if preferred and the fitted coat makes it easier to judge conformation.

Ann likes this.
  9. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah

10. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    Thanks. I thought I was a premium member but I guess I'll need to go back and check on that. I am really enjoying the forum.

Piper's mom likes this.