Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Corns/Cornification

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Bill Porter, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2020
    Howdy Folks,

We noticed that Remy's paws seemed kind of rough and one looked abnormal than the other so I took him to the vet who said he was suffering from corns/cornification. Our vet said that Shelties are prone to them (true?) and also dogs that interact with other dogs (Remy does not). She also said it could be hereditary or from some form of papillomavirus. The treatment was to remove them with scissors and now we are to monitor him for reoccurrence. Remy's paws also seem quite dry/rough at times.

Have any of you experienced this situation or have heard of it?

Thank you for your time.

Bill

Selena Wohlslagel and Sharon7 like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Learn something new every day - nope we've had 7 Shelties and none have had this issue. I would try the treatment Gloria suggested to help if he's pads are dry/cracked.

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I don't suppose you took any pictures?
    haven't heard of that so would like to see what you noticed was different..............

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Never heard of this...I did look it up (I admit I was curious and wanted to see if it was something I should worry about) and all the links referred to it being a problem with Greyhounds and other sight hounds. Do you keep his nails quite short? I’m just wondering because longer nails will affect how the dog walks and put more pressure on the pads.

Hanne likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I have never heard of this, but can read that:

Young dogs under 2 years of age are more susceptible
    to the papillomavirus because their immune system is not fully developed.

As their immune system matures, they produce antibodies against the virus
    and the warts may eventually disappear.
    Papillomas typically develop on the lips, tongue, throat or gums.
    They are round and have an irregular surface reminiscent
    of a cauliflower or garden anemone, and usually grow in clusters.

But I have not read nowhere that they can occur on paws.

I would also recommend the paw wax that Gloria recommends

7. Bill Porter

Bill Porter Forums Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2020
    With Covid, we haven't had his nails trimmed as often as we'd like, so that might have something to do with it. The Vet didn't really know the cause of the issue and threw out some possibilities. We noticed that one of his paw pads seemed to have something stuck on it because we saw black sticking out - turned out to be his pad. I took pictures (not good ones though) and I'll see if I can find one. We've ordered the Mushers for now.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I think my dog had corns on her pads once. They were like little hard white dots. The vet removed them when she had her teeth cleaned. The vet said they popped right out.

9. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    Yes Little Luke has that on his pads too. I brought it to the attention of his vet. She said bulldogs sometimes have it on their noses. I am going to order some of the chewy treatment for Luke. Thanks for letting us know it's there

Piper's mom likes this.