Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie males vs females?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Christina, Nov 4, 2018.

1. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    I've had four girls and one male. All are affectionate, albeit in different ways and to differing degrees. The quality missing from the girls, I think, is that word "goofy" that has already been used. My boy, now gone, was loud and silly and very, very loving in a more exuberant way than the girls. I would not trade the girls for anything in the world, but I miss that goofiness.

2. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I have my first sheltie and it's a female. I do agility and I wanted a high energy dog but my wish was also that it would be affectionate and cuddly. And thats what I got. As a puppy she wasn't so( too busy) and I was a bit worried but after her first heat at 8 months she changed and came near for a cuddle and she stayed like that.
    She wants to snuggle in the morning and evening most, durring day she must burn all the energy. Oh and she gives lots of kisses! If she is in play mode she doesn't want to be touched at all. She is the least barking in all the litter. She doesn't bark at agility at all! Only if someone comes at the door or at playing chase with me.
    She can train agility with whatever person has a ball, while her brother will not. Her sisters are the same.
    At home she follows me constantly except if she sees someone is doing something interesting.
    She was never goofy and takes her jobs very seriously from a young age.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    5 girls over the years and now our first boy. All our girls were affectionate but not all wanted to snuggle. Our two girls now, Brooke and her granddaughter Faith are VERY affectionate and kissy, but they are not lap dogs. Elijah on the other hand is a huge snuggler. He is not kissy at all though. Definitely follows us everywhere wanting to be close and know what is going on. If I'm outside in my Adirondack chair reading, he is right behind me, whereas the girls are on their outdoor dog cots.

I do think it's more of an individual trait myself. You should be fine with boy or girl but be clear with the breeder what you are hoping for in personality.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We have only had females. Hollie was very affectionate, loved to snuggle and be petted. Always had to be with us and always made sure her herd was together. She hated if myself and DH were in separate areas of the house or yard. Very attached to DH and myself. Not fond of other people, dogs, or kids.

Shelby is the complete opposite. She is very independent and really does not like to snuggle. She is always aware of where we are but rarely sits or sleeps with us. She likes her own space. For example DH left for work at 1:30 this morning. She went downstairs with him and never came back up to me until I got up 3 hours later. She was perfectly content staying Downstairs alone. Shelby LOVES little kids, dogs, and people. I have a picture of her sleeping with our goddaughter on the sofa when she was an infant. Shelby would not leave her side for anything. To this day Shelby adores her.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    When I had Lucky he was so easy going. Nothing bothered him, nail trim, brushing, etc. He was
    lovable and would play. Lil' Lady holy smoke, she would try to nip me brushing her or doing her
    nails. She was demanding and did not like to play with a ball. She look at me, well put that
    thing in your mouth.
    As I read about Australian Shepards the females are not as nice as the males. I believe also
    each dog has there own personality. I also believe in % wise males are better but they
    lift their leg to pee, Lucky and Buck will pee on a piece of furniture. Seldom, but it happens.

6. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I would agree that with mine they've all had different personalities. Our boy was very affectionate and loved to sleep in bed. He came out of rescue as a puppy at 4 months and has been our only puppy.

Katy had a tougher life before rescue but with those she trusts she likes attention and seeks it out. She's the most serious of the 3.

Annie came to us from a breeder at the age of 2 and she is more goofy and likes attention.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    By and large (with some exceptions), boys are more happy to do what you ask, and girls are more of the "what's in it for me" type.