Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Mom FAIL

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Cindy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    So I have been dremelling Gavin's nails for a while now. But after being boarded for 2 weeks for Chirstmas I thought a trim would be easier and quicker since the nails are kinda long. So of course I end up hitting the quick on like 5 or 6 nails....and couldn't find the quickstop (of course I didn't look for it until after I needed it....and still no idea where it is).

So Gavin is bleeding like crazy (he never flinched, btw, or even tried to get up) and I am running around getting paper towels and putting pressure on his little nails. 2 were pretty bad and kept bleeding a while, the rest weren't too bad and stopped easily. The bad ones looked like the nail might have split when I clipped them as the exposed quick was kinda on the side....

poor dog has been made to lay for hours with his paw wrapped in paper towels so he doesn't bleed everywhere :( Now he is wearing a soft baby sock...cause it has to hurt to walk. and of course both of the badly clipped nails are on his only fully weight bearing back leg.

he had a trip to the beach this morning and is super tired from that.....so i guess it is good he is OK with lots of sleep

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Meanie! j/k I am horrible on nails.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    If your misery wants some company I did the exact same thing to Benson--he was paw pulling so bad with the Dremel and I thought ok its just easier to clip it. WRONG! He cried when I cut him and I felt lower than whale dung. I had the kwik stop in the drawer on the grooming table though so I did get it stopped. But you just feel so bad when you hurt them!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin didn't even yelp :(
    he just acts like nothing is wrong...
    such a sweetheart....my old man

ghggp, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    We've all done that, your not a bad Sheltie mom Cindy...far far from it. Piper is so bad when it comes to getting his nails done..I have him on his back, between my legs and he's forever pulling his paws away. I haven't made him bleed yet (I did too short on Riley a couple times and he never made a sound either) but there's always a first.

Darren, Sharon7 and Hanne like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, as Lisa says we have all been there :cry:

I did it on Minnie 2 time as a puppy, I felt so bad too.
    After that I bought an electric grinder, and never cut them again :no:

Darren likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Please don’t beat yourself up! As everyone has mentioned... we have all been there!

I alway use a Dremel as I am scared to use anything else for the same fear of cutting the quick!

Poor Gavin!
    Hope he feels better soon

Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Don't feel bad, Cindy...Gavin has already forgiven you I'm sure! I did the same thing years ago with Barkley and of course it was the Fourth of July so I couldn't even call the vet. I had to put him in the bathtub until he stopped bleeding which took hours and then wrap his paw in vet wrap. After that I got a dremmel. I still clip sometimes but hold my breath every time....it's impossible not to nick the quick on black nails!

Darren, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin is very patient with me!
    He can drool if I use the dremmel too much (I have no idea on that one), but I think we will stay safe from now on. And I ordered more qwikstop to be safe :)
    he hasn't had any bleeding since yesterday afternoon, so I think we are good on that.

ghggp and Ann like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You'll probably all brand me the world's worst Sheltie Mum, but I clip all my dogs' nails, and I've never yet failed to hit the quic on somebody. :hide I keep styptic powder at the ready always!!!

Darren, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.