Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie rescue - need advise

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Roberta, Jan 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM.

1. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    I have 2 shelties, a 4-year-old spayed female and a 2-year-old neutered male. I got both of them when they were about 8 weeks old and both are certified therapy dogs. I am thinking of adopting a 14-month-old male sheltie. His current owner has health issues and isn't able to care for him. He is a very friendly dog. I brought him home yesterday for a 2-week trial period. My 2-year-old male just loves him and they really enjoy playing together. My 4-year-old female is very stand-offish. When he gets too close to her she snaps and makes evil sounding noises. He backs off and respects her space. I get the impression they will get used to each other.

The biggest problem I have with him so far is that he tried to mark his territory inside the house. I caught him when he first lifted his leg and told him "NO" (rather loudly) so he stopped. I caught him trying again today, said "NO" and stopped him before he did any damage. He knows to do his business outside and he goes out on a regular basis, so it's not that he just can't hold it anymore. He also keeps humping my male dog when they play together - not fun for me to watch, although it doesn't seem to be an issue with my dog.

He slept last night in a large crate in my room along with the other 2 dogs who aren't crated. He made a little noise for few minutes but quickly settled down and slept the whole night. During the day when I can watch him closely, I keep him in the family room where he can run around and play with the other dog. Otherwise, I've been keeping him in an X pen in the family room, so he is still near me and the other dogs.

He is a very sweet boy (a real cutie) - and I love him already, so I am hoping this trial period works out. I have never introduced a dog this old (14 months) into my home with my other dogs. Whenever I got a new dog he/she was always a puppy. I'm looking for any advice to help with the transition - particularly the territory marking. He hasn't been neutered yet, so I assume that is part of the problem. If I do keep him, I will get him neutered ASAP. I feel bad about keeping him in the X pen when I can't monitor him, but he seems to tolerate it well. I would really appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Thanks!

Hanne, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. He's just trying to establish territory, I think, and may feel a bit insecure having been introduced to a new home with new dogs. Neutering will certainly help. Best thing though might be to get him a "belly band". It goes over his penis and abdomen, and if he tries to mark he'll pee on himself instead. I've heard it really works because they don't want to wet themselves.

I have now introduced multiple young adult Shelties into our home and it takes a bit of adjustment for some, but I bet your girl will cave in finally. I've never had a real problem with any of them. I've only had one male though and Elijah does not lift his leg or mark, he never has so I'm not familiar first hand with your issue.

Very nice of you to take in this new boy. We will need photos, of course! :winkgrin:

Hanne, RikyR, Roberta and 4 others like this.
  3. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It sounds like you are doing everything right and keeping him in the x-pen is a good idea when you can't watch him until you get the marking under control. Neutering should take care of the marking and usually the humping too, although it takes a few months for the hormones to settle down post neutering so don't expect to see an immediate improvement. In the meantime, continue the firm no's at marking and at humping behavior. As Sharon mentioned a belly ban is a good option if he will keep one on when inside...just make sure to change it if wet so he doesn't get a urine burn on his skin. If he won't keep the belly band on make sure you wash down any area he has marked with one of the cleaners that deletes the urine scent.
    He sounds like a sweet dog and your female is just letting him know that he is the newbie in HER home...it will all work out. It is great that you are offering to take him so his current owner knows he will be loved and cared for in a good home. Any pictures?
    Trini

Hanne, RikyR, Sandy in CT and 5 others like this.
  4. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Sounds like things are going ok He is just trying to figure out where his place is in your pack.Since you said he was respectful when your female told him go away.That is a good sign. Keep up what you have been doing and give them sometime.
    Just make sure no one feels left out try to give everyone their me time.
    Good luck, and pictures are appreciated when you have time :)

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Roberta and 5 others like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second the other comments here. If he isn't neutered, that will solve the marking problem. In the meantime as Sharon said, a belly band is a great idea. He may continue to hump...even girls do it to other girls. It's a dominance behavior. Neutering should certainly help reduce it, but a stern NO when you see it will help too.

Your girl is being, dare I say, a typical girl! I have six, all girls, and they can be snarky when their space is invaded or they're just asserting their superiority. Since, as we know, girls are superior creatures! :ROFLMAO: As you suspect, she will get over it and eventually accept him and even allow him to be her friend. Just give it time.

Please keep us posted and let us know how he does! Enjoy your new family member. Thank you for giving him a home with you. :love:

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with Ann…Blueberry is my first female Sheltie and she definitely lets my two boys know with a growl and a quick snap of the jaws when they need to step back lol. Your girl is just telling him to back off and that she’s the boss lol. I agree also with the belly band, and with both my boys (neutered at 2 years and the other 19 months) the marking stopped literally the next day (all other behaviour issues took longer). However my two never marked indoors (aside from obedience class) and it’s my understanding that marking can become a learned behaviour. Sounds like you’ve got a great plan going and I wish you all the best of luck that everything goes well!

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    To add, yes… a belly band works wonders! Maybe at his previous home they were lax in their potty training due to the owners illness. As for the belly band, I used female human napkin inside to remove if I thought it was soiled. Urine burn, if left untreated can cause a staph infection. So, certainly something to look out for!
    Certainly, marking diminishes once they are fixed.
    He is a smart little guy not to cross you female! Her swift response of a snarl and snap made him know, keep your distance! Shelties are such a kind breed. Setting boundaries is something all dogs practice!
    My 5 year old Baron wanted nothing to with Liam when he was 10 weeks old! Now they are best buddies!
    Hope you can keep him!
    Pictures please ?

Hanne, RikyR, Ann and 6 others like this.
  8. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    willy-1 1-13-2022.jpg Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. I just wanted to post an update on the new boy's progress - his name is Wilson. I am truly amazed at how well he is fitting in. The indoor territory marking behavior seems to have stopped (and I have been watching him like a hawk). He has also pretty much stopped humping my 2-year-old male when they are playing. My 4-year-old female has even started warming up to him. He has been giving her a wide berth ever since she snapped at him. She started slowly approaching him today, and even tried to entice him to play. I think the 2 of them will do just fine. I am taking him to my vet this week to get him checked out. I have the medical records from his current owner and he is up to date on all his vaccines.

I have one remaining concern. My female Maxine is small (about 20 pounds) and my 2-year-old boy Tyrone is big (about 42 pounds). When the 2 of them play together Maxine jumps all over Tyrone, but he isn't really rough with her. They mostly just chase each other around. Wilson is about 30 pounds. When Wilson and Tyrone play, they are rougher. but I'm a little worried that Wilson might hurt Maxine while playing. Maybe I'm just being overly protective.

Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm going to adopt Wilson. I"m posting his picture. He is a very affectionate, sweet dog. - - - - Roberta

Hanne, Calliesmom, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  9. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    He is really really handsome, Sounds like thing are going well so far. Congratulations.. Thanks for sharing the picture. :)

Hanne, Roberta, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    He is handsome and it sounds like things are sorting themselves out. Since your girl, although smaller, isn't shy about sticking up for herself I would imagine they will be OK, but I would definitely supervise play for a while. Wilson will get bolder as he gets more comfortable. It can take a month or longer for their true colors to shine in a new home (in my experience).

My Meadow is much more petite than Elijah or Faith but she holds her own physically. Comes down more to personality and attitude than sheer weight, I think.

Congrats. He must be a cryptic Merle since he looks like a tri but has a blue eye. He's very cute.

Hanne, Roberta, RikyR and 3 others like this.