Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie rescue - need advise

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Roberta, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    He's precious! Fitting in so quickly. I'd take him in a heartbeat!

Hanne, Roberta, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Congrats. He must be a cryptic Merle since he looks like a tri but has a blue eye. He's very cute.[/QUOTE]

That is really interesting information about his being a cryptic Merle. I hadn't heard of that before, so I just read a few articles about merles. Evidently, cryptic merles can be a problem because they can be mistaken for a tri color and bred to another merle, resulting in a double merle which can cause blindness. This won't be an issue for Wilson, because he has a blue eye (so obviously is part merle) plus I'm not going to breed him and am going to have him neutered.

Interestingly, Wilson's AKC registration lists his color as black, white, and tan. Just wondering if AKC recognizes cryptic blue merle as a color - or if the breeder listed the wrong color on his ACK registration.

Hanne, Sharon7, trini and 1 other person like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like everything is going splendidly! Supervised play between biggies and tiny dogs is alway advised! Trini has the same problem at her house! what a beautiful face! My Baron is a tri but you would never know it to look at his face as it is almost all black.
    Glad you will adopt Wilson! He hit the lottery! Not only a great home but a new Sheltie family to play with!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Hanne, Roberta, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Wilson is a very handsome boy and so lucky to be getting such a good second home. It sounds like he is a smart lad and is learning what is acceptable behavior in his new home really fast. Different sizes can be an issue and you may need to watch pretty closely for a while to make sure that Wilson won't hurt Maxine by mistake when playing. But the size difference you are dealing with is not huge...I have a tiny Yorkie and then my oversized Sheltie boy Laddie who is really ultra rough in play and for them the size difference is so big (6 pounds vs 30 pounds) that most of the time they are separated by baby gates my little Yorkie is in my arms when Laddie is in the same room and they are never outside together. You may also find that Wilson, like your Tyrone, realizes that he needs to be more gentle with Maxine than with a dog his size or bigger. Previous Shelties I have had they have always been very conscious of the tiny doggies and very gentle with them...Laddie is my first not to temper his behavior to fit the size difference situation.
    Congratulations...you have a really nice addition to your family! :)
    Trini

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    ghggp, Hanne, Roberta and 3 others like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    He is one very handsome boy! And is now in his forever home!

trini, ghggp, Hanne and 3 others like this.