Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

sheltie sizes

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by nykkchick, Jun 1, 2011.

1. nykkchick

nykkchick Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009
    nowhere
    hey guys, im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. first i have to say izabella is the best dog in the world! almost 11 months, so amazingly loving and sweet and so tiny at 18-20lbs. well she is tiny to me lol.

im curious about what is the largest size sheltie anyone has ever seen? im having some issues with the rescue blue merle charley, i posted before on him. i no longer talk with the previous owner as she keeps upsetting me, but anyway, i measured charleys top of head down to is paw and he measures 23" tall, a month ago he weighed in at 40lbs, i havent weighed him recently. my vet says collie, collie rescue says border collie mix (NOT). i love him regardless but he has some issues, seperation anxiety is one of them. stealing food off of my counters is another. other than that i have really turned this dog around. he listens so well, except with this jumping up on my very high counters and stealing food, now izzy cant do get up that high. she measures 14" from head to floor.

i just want to be able to work with my dog, and in working with him, since collies are not shelties, they are similar, but not the same breed, i want to research, just like anyone should to work with a rescue dog.

thanks guys!

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    First off, you are measuring incorrectly. Measure Charley from the top of his withers (shoulders behind his neck) to the floor. That will give you a better comparable measurement. As far as size, there are several purebred, well-bred shelties on this forum that are over 20" tall. Chris' Beckon is one.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I moved this over to the Sheltie Standard. I think the thread fits better here. More people will probably read the thread in this category.

4. Sheltiesr2cute

Sheltiesr2cute Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I own two pure bred Shelties and both are over sized. One is 39 lbs and is 19 inches the other is about 30 lbs and is about 18 inches. they are brother and sister, the male is ten months older. The parents are 13 1/2 and 15 inches. I have heard of Shelties that are a lot bigger and I've seen alot smaller ones as well, unless they are for showing size dosn't matter. I bought mine as we knew when they were born that they would be over sized. In short some Shelties do become quite large.
    Becky Mom of Bristol and Charlotte:smile2:

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Mty rapidly growing 16 week old shelties is already 16" at the withers and a skinny 18.5 lbs. He is growing so rapidly, I fear he wont stop short of 20" and 50 lbs!

6. nykkchick

Mar 7, 2009
    nowhere
    thank you!

7. nykkchick

Mar 7, 2009
    nowhere

wowwwwww 16 weeks!!! i guess i always though shelties were suppose to be 20lbs apparantly not lol! no wonder why people get shelties and collies mixed up. ok shoulders down. im gonna remeasure my big boy.

8. nykkchick

Mar 7, 2009
    nowhere
    ok he measures from behind the neck the start of his shoulder down 21".

9. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    Well first Nikki..you are measuring incorrectly ok. Take the pup,and put him by a door casing.I find it easier this way,unless you are lucky enough to have a wicket.
    Measure from the withers,which is right at the shoulder,down to the floor.That shold give you a fairly accurate height measurement,depends on how antsy they get.

I personally think you have a large sheltie.I am no professional,but something about his head brings me to that thought.
    My 3 here,and 2 are related,have always had 1# differance between them.As a matter of fact we had weigh in's today. Trapp (oldest) is 24#,Jasper 23#. Our little bundle of love Mia,tipped in today at a whopping 18#. She to me is heavy.And will be scaled back some on food.She is very tiny as well.I bet she don't measure over 13- 13-1/2".
    Trapp & Jasper are within an inch of each other,maybe a tad more.Jasper settled in his shoulders,got wider in his chest when he hit a year old,and is now very much noticeably smaller than his brother.

As far as jumping height,Jasper still to this day has never attempted to even jump on sofa.However....my gosh can he jump outside.I do think at times trying to catch the sprinkler he has almost jumped 5' or higher in the air.Honestly he can fly. Trapp is an amazing athlete as well.no problem jumping on furniture for him,he is like Sca and uses furniture like a race track...

10. Jragon

Jragon Forums Regular

May 28, 2011
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    We had a litter with a sheltie in it that ended up being 21" at the withers, and around 45 pounds, I think. He is owned by a very good friend of dad's now and he is an awesome dog. He is HUGE and very loving, and loves to give you hugs and kisses. A lot of people mistake him for a collie, but he's a sheltie for sure! It's funny seeing him next to his brother, who is just under 16" at the withers.

We also own a very small girl who is 14 inches and 16 pounds. But I have seen smaller shelties, who don't even hit the standard height (13 - 16 inches). I'm sure there are also much bigger shelties than the one we had, too!