Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelties and cats?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Alabar, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Alabar

Alabar Forums Novice

Dec 22, 2016
    Hi there, I am considering a sheltie for our home and we have three cats.

Two are younger at 1.5yr and still super playful and curious about everything. I don't worry too too much about them, the brother likes to bully the neighbors tiny dog with the same name, Mini. Molly is the sister and is not too bright, but loveable all the same.

Then there's Pip. A sweet kind gentle giant old man of a cat. He's pretty playful for his age at 5.5yr. he just wants outside for a bit to check out the neighbourhood and then back in to sit on my lap or a chair. He'll chase toys inside, and still gets the zoomies when he's been stuck inside too long.

I really could talk about them all day they're all sweet kind and funny. All three love babies and kids, they seem to be fine no matter how busy my home gets. But generally speaking their interactions with dogs are very limited. Mini the dog rarely comes out, and weighs about two lbs. And I once doggy sat my brothers GSD and Pip and Molly freaked the F*** out. Mini was super brave and tried to face down an 80lb dog! But the dog chased mini and I literally had to tackle the dog the ground to reach him in time to stop what looked like what might be a blood bath that was about to happen.

When the dog left Mini and Molly came back to their normal routine in a few minutes but Pip took a couple hours.

So back to my question, how are the little shelties with cats?

Hanne likes this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I find that they can be a very good mix, provided boundaries are set (either by you or the cat!) Shelties are herders and their instinct is usually to chase the cat, especially if the cat runs or moves quickly (like the zoomies!) You have to be prepared to distract your sheltie and teach them that chasing is not okay (especially if the cat doesn't like it). We are lucky in that we have a cat that loves dogs and likes to chase and be chased. He often instigates this and they dogs and cat will tear around the house at full speed. But the cat does have some places he can easily get to where the dogs can't reach him (counters, cat door to the basement, etc.) for when he has had enough. And our dogs have learned that when I say enough is enough, they stop (at least for a little!)

All that being said, I love the way our dogs interact with our cat. So it can definitely be a good match!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Alabar

Alabar Forums Novice

Dec 22, 2016

That's good news! It gives me hope. Pip is my only concern.

Another question I have is off leash abilities. It is a super important quality I am looking for. I plan on hiking the trans Canada trail. Its a life goal of mine and I really want to bring a dog with me, but not deal with the hassle of a leash...

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg I have had cats and Shelties for the 40 years! I have owned 4 rescued and 2 purchased Shelties along with three Persian cats!

Never have I had any issues with them getting along at all. I will temper my comment by saying that some Shelties I have seen on rescue sites specifically state no cats should be in the home since the dogs will chase them. But, those are few. Normally Shelties are very tolerant of other animals.
    My home is set up to allow the dogs to be in the kitchen, family and sun room. The rest is gated off so if the cats wanted a break from the dogs they could easily get away! Persians by nature are not from my experience cats that run around a lot so that may have helped my cause.
    When I first got Baron my new Sheltie that never saw a cat before, he raised his lips a showed his teeth! He got a stern NO and was crated for 15 minutes. When I let him back out and the cat came in the room he just turned his head! Cat, what cat was the expression on his face!!! They get along great now! Yes, boundaries need to be set for a smooth transition!

Shelties are great off lead as long as they have been trained for a good recall!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Sharon7 likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Alabar likes this.
  6. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I know a dog blogger who writes a cat and a Shelties blog the combo seems to be pretty common. I would suspect like any multi species home it takes a little adjustment.

DH and I are convinced Katy was raised with cats as she has certain cat traits none of the other dogs ever exhibited.

Alabar likes this.
  7. Alabar

Alabar Forums Novice

Dec 22, 2016
    Awesome cat and dog! Thanks for the pictures they look so sweet together. Next September I'll be ready for a dog I think.

Training is a non issue for me nor is grooming. I love training and grooming! My last dog was a great Pyrenees and I had good recall on him! (Well good for a pyr anyways 60-70% of the time he came back on the first call! And.... If he didn't come back on the first be wasn't going to at all :p)

I want to get into dog dancing, it looks like fun!

8. Alabar

Alabar Forums Novice

Dec 22, 2016
    That's what I want to work towards! I'm very willing to put in the effort to get there! I know if I find the right breeder I'll get there.

I want a dog that's super obedient, I'll even be willing to do shows if that's what it takes to find the right dog and breeder.

Now my last breeder was a nightmare! I did everything right as far as I knew. I should actually make a different post for this question probably, but here goes, what should I really look for in a good breeder? I thought I read everything and did everything right last time except make the 9hr trip to go see them. But my references did go and see them and their dog was amazing and no issues at all. Mine was riddled with health problems and aggressive behaviour.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Cats: We have four Shelties. Two love to play with Louis -- he eggs them on to chase him. The other two sleep on our bed with him. They manage to work things out.
    Hike: I do cross country walks without a leash on Beckon and Layla. Both have solid recalls and will WAIT when told. In my opinion, those are the most vital things to have, especially where there could be bears, snakes or tempting chase-ables. When Bits hiked, she'd take off after deer, and nothing could stop her. Layla and Beckon both respond to, "Stay close!" and remain in sight. It takes practice and training, training, training.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I also have had two different kitties with my Shelties. Skye and Katie, our first family, were good buddies and playmates. They'd chase each other, and Katie loved to sit on the back of the couch and bop Skye's nose (no claws). Now our kitty Mario has lived with 4 different Shelties and done well with all. Asta and Ally basically ignored him, Brooke does also, and Faith LOVES Mario - follows him all around and tries to herd him. He wanks at her occasionally but then turns around and rubs his face on hers. I think Shelties in general are gentle enough to be good with cats.

Alabar likes this.