Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelties and Cats?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by HikerDog, Oct 11, 2019.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    While on a run to Petsmart, I saw a really sweet looking cat. My wife and I have always wanted one and it said she was declawed in the front and previously lived with a young child and a Boxer. I decided to give a quick call to the shelter just to see what was up.

They told me that they would never adopt a cat out to anyone who has a sheltie because they are herding dogs. Though I've seen many Instagram accounts (and I even follow a few) where shelties and cats cohabitate incredibly well. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seemed a little extreme but heck, I don't know much about cats.

Toby is young but has a handle of a lot of commands that require impulse control (mainly "Leave It" "Stay" and "Look" even when he's looking at something very interesting) I didn't forsee it as much of a problem until the shelter was so adamant against shelties.

2. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    I think that is extreme!

However, my first Sheltie, Noel, was a terrible cat chaser. She chased anything that moved. I adopted her when she was 7, so maybe she didn't get early exposure to cats. It was always a problem I had to manage, but she got better in her old age:)

I currently have 1 cat, and Kip wants to play with her. My cat is very used to dogs and won't run away. She will play with Kip a bit, but if he gets too pushy, she will hiss and let him know that she has had enough. He respects that. I'm hoping that because Kip is growing up with her, they will always get along. I think if you teach a puppy to be good with cats from the beginning, that helps a lot!!

If you do adopt a mature cat, maybe you can get one who is used to dogs.

HikerDog likes this.
  3. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    I had a cat with my first sheltie years ago and never had a problem. There was chasing, but the cat could outsmart the dog every time and had plenty of places to escape to. They enjoyed each others company. I think with the right match it could work just fine. Some shelters seem to go over the top, but probably only because they want a safe home for the pets.

HikerDog likes this.
  4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    That is just RIDICULOUS! I have five of each. I wonder if the shelter understands the difference between a herding dog and a hunting dog. OK. A sheltie might try to herd the cat if it's doing something it shouldn't. But they aren't prey driven. Many years ago, I had a sheltie named Brodie. I got kitten Harry. Brodie took ownership of that kitten. He actually trained the kitten. The kitten would try to climb curtains, and Brodie would gently remove him. They were best friends and literally died on the same day, one year apart. We always called Harry Brodie's cat.

All of my animals get along. In fact, my Siamese kitten, Melody and Cassie cuddle together on my lap daily. Annabelle Lee and her cat Caruso used to sleep together EVERY NIGHT! Clarabelle thought that we bought the kitten just for her. Cats and Shelties get along VERY WELL! Clarabelle thinks she IS half cat. You do need to make sure that you set the ground rules- as you would with ANY two pets that you put together. In fact, my guest shelties who are not raised around cats get along with my cats.

I should say that Melody and Cassie play rough sometimes. And it looks pretty bad for Melody. BUT- Melody usually starts it, and during the play, Melody rolls over- belly up and wrestles. If we stop it, Melody starts it up again. So, they are both just young un's that play rough. Melody can effortlessly get away from Cassie, but she doesn't. So, they must enjoy it.

TheDailyPainter, Hanne and HikerDog like this.
  5. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Glad to know everyone has positive experiences! He is several months old and I was really hoping that by bringing a cat into his life somewhat early, I would be able to socialize him while he's in the prime age. He responds well to the "leave it" and "look" commands so I assumed I could use those to interrupt any potential chasing.

I figured if I made sure the cat had some high places to hang out, that even if Toby the Pup does get a little excited, the cat could get away from him easily which could prevent the cat from getting stressed out.

I just get a little frustrated sometimes because around here (I live in between Philadelphia and New York City) there are so many homeless cats. Seems silly for a shelter to be *that* picky. Well, I'll keep my eyes peeled over the next few months for a cat that is already used to dogs and a shelter willing to adopt out :)

TheDailyPainter and Sharon7 like this.
  6. MissyGallant

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
  7. MissyGallant

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Maybe the person who runs the shelter had a bad experience with a herding dog and lumped them into the same category. And there are probably some shelties that are best alone. But those are the exceptions not the rule.

8. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    What I was told was that there was a woman who works at the shelter who is a "sheltie person" and that she makes sure that they don't even adopt sheltie/sheltie mixes to houses that have cats so she is going to "definitely nix" me as a cat adoptee. I probably just found a really cranky shelter, which is always unfortunate.

Sad to say this isn't my first or even second negative experience I've had from a shelter/rescue.

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well I agree it's ridiculous. There are many members here who have Shelties and kitties. Our first Sheltie and Kitty were best buds. Mario has now lived with 5 different Shelties in combos of 2's and 3's and never a problem. Faith will try and "herd" Mario sometimes by walking behind him and mouthing at his legs. He just turns around and meows and then rubs on her. I think doing it while Toby is young is a great plan. As long as kitty can get away from puppy, and you must also keep both cat food and litterbox SECURELY out of reach of the pup, it should all be fine.

HikerDog likes this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    All my Shelties get along with Louis. Layla will ley him sleep next to her. Loki plays with him (and humps him :rolleyes2:), Penny ignores him. Only Beckon -- aka Colonel Underpants -- seems to feel it's his responsibility to keep Louis in line, which he does with finesse.

HikerDog, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.