Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelties and Temperature

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Wagonracer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Wagonracer

Wagonracer Forums Regular

Mar 17, 2009
    I read somewhere that Shelties should be in an environment kept at around 72 degrees. However, I see several people take them out in snow and some even kept outside in cold climates... this is very confusing... What temperatures can a Sheltie handle? How cold is too cold? Do they really need to sleep at night in a temperature of around 72 degrees? Should you walk your Sheltie if it's 32 degrees outside? Thanks for any input...

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Hmm I've never heard this before. It may be the ideal temperature (sounds like it might be a good one for humans, too), but I don't think it's an absolute.

We live in Charleston, SC and Bentley has been out in colder and hotter temperatures. As long as he has access to water when it's hot, or has some blankets when it's cold, he doesn't seem to mind. We do agility outside and I don't think that any of our trials have been near 72 degrees.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I never hear of this before. Can you tell us where you heard/read this?

I think 72 degrees is way to hot to keep your house in the winter :eek2: I would go broke. We keep ours at 66 degrees....and it is still a fortune to keep warm.

Walking your dog is fine out in the cold. Just know your dog. If they are shivering...they are too cold. If they are panting and look miserable, they are too hot.

4. granite

granite Forums Sage

Apr 6, 2008
    earth
    I've never heard of a 'recommended temperature.' Dogs in general can become heat stressed at sustained temps of 85 or over, and cold stressed at temps under 45. It depends on the size, health, and density of fur on the dog. Also, dogs are slower to adapt to rapid temp changes than people; which is why your house dog may shiver more in cold weather than the neighbor's dog that stays outside year-round.

Best rule is to observe your dog's reaction to situations and respond accordingly.

I know that the airlines will not allow dogs to be shipped if the outside temps AT ANY POINT of the trip are over 85 degrees F.

5. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Our sheltie ,Mally, prefers the wintertime walks more so than the summertime walks. Mally loves the snow, and seems to have more energy in the colder weather. When it is very warm he is not happy, would rather be inside in the air conditioning. Same thing in the house. Last weekend we were at my elderly aunts house. She keeps the thermostat on 85 degrees, it seems like. Mally was miserable, drinking more water than usual, laying on the tile in front of her front door (it was cooler there) When we got home, (we keep our house cool) he was fine. Shelties originate from the Shetland Islands, I believe it is cold there.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Bailey loves this cold weather. During our morning walks, I do make her wear a jacket. It's only in the 20's and she doesn't seem to be cold at all.

She was a young puppy in the summer, so I'm not too sure how she'll handle the heat.

7. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    I sure hope Shelties don't need to be kept at a constant temperature as my Megan LOVES the cooler temps we're having right now. I have read the opposite, that Shelties do great in the winter because of their enormous fur coat! :cool:

8. Strider

Strider Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Anchorage Alaska
    Deja seems to thrive in the cold. Average temps in the last month here have been in the teens.. 11~15 degrees f. Deja would stay out all day if I let her. She hates it warm.

At night she lies on the floor of our bedroom and we keep the window open so it's probably in the low 60s on the floor. Darby on teh otherhand HATES the cold. He has a hoodie that he wears when we go for walks and he goes outside to do his business then right back inside.

9. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas

Wow, you keep the window open when it's 11-15 degrees outside??

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I keep my house at 65 degrees in the winter. No one is cold. In the summer I try to keep the house under 75 and the dogs seem hot. They lay on the hard wood ,won't sleep on the bed. As a basic rule if it is too hot or cold for me, it is too hot or cold for them.