Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelties and water?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Wendy C, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Morning all!! Coop tip toes around puddles, but then so did our Shih Tzu. Yesterday while he was at Doggy Daycare they brought out the big kiddy pool so the dogs could cool off. There were 5 dogs all different breeds and they tore into the water and Cooper raced right behind. His front paws hit the water and bam....he backed out! lol. Laura said he headed to a shady spot and watched the rest after all why should he mess up all that fur?? Sheltie thing or Cooper thing?

Side note and not Sheltie related...I got my second jab yesterday and still no tail or magnetic chip in my arm!! Yay!! Stay safe all! xx

2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Moat Shelties are not natural fans of water except to drink. He can be taught to tolerate even if not love water, but it is not a breed like Labs, etc that have it in their genes to see water as a joyful thing. If you really want him to get used to stepping in water or even possibly cooling off in water on a really hot day, the way I have taught my hate water ones is to take lots of really high quality treats, preferably stinky ones so the scent is high even in water, and put them either into the middle of a very large puddle or in a plastic kiddy pool that has just a couple of inches of water in the bottom. Most Shelties are food driven and will try for those treats...put one close to the edge so easily reachable to prime him for more treats. Put the rest closer and closer to the middle of the puddle or pool so there is no way he can get to them without stepping in the water. Make sure to do this training when he is hungry, not when he has just had a meal. Mine all learned this way and eventually they would go into water that was up to their tummy and "bubble fish" for the treats that were 6"+ under water. However most never wanted to swim with paws not touching a solid surface. I have known Shelties (none of mine) that loved to swim, but it isn't typical of the breed.

Congrats on the second jab. We got our's in February because we are ancient and the ancients were at the front of the line. :)
    Trini

ghggp, Darren, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Cody absolutely hated water. I was a sight to see him tip toe in the wet grass to do his business. Zulu, not at all. Rain, water hose, water sprinkler, does not bother him one bit. But he will walk around a puddle on the sidewalk when we are out walking.

Darren, Sharon7, Margi and 3 others like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    definitely not a sheltie thing....
    Cran is the only one who does water at all- maybe because his big brother was beagle mix and didn't care about water..

Darren, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    RikyR, Calliesmom, Darren and 5 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Water, hah! I had Misty out in our two-day recent rainstorm and you would think there were little bullets hitting her. She kept rubbing her muzzle and eyes with her front paw and looking at me pitifully like how could you possibly expect me to perform chores with this torture going on? Then she kept leaping back up on the deck out of the offending moisture. :uhoh:

None of mine are water fans although a few don't mind rain, and of course they all LOVE snow, but that doesn't count as water. So I don't think Cooper is alone in his water aversion! :no:

RikyR, Darren, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    All 3 of ours react to water the way the wicked witch does in the Wizard of Oz. Clearly you people are crazy why would you ever think of going into water, it will kill you. Get out now!!! We went to a fundraiser at a state park when Bailey was still alive with Katy. Big dogs, small dogs are running from the beach into the water. Our too are huddled together pushing up against our legs like the end times had come. The one dog vacation we took with Katy we walked the beach with her. She LOVED the sand and the smells but we had to stay away from the tide coming in or she was not a happy girl.

RikyR, Darren, Ann and 4 others like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada

Darren, Ann, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Glenn, I love that video!! Ours like to wade in the creek, but none are into swimming. That said, there are swimming Shelties.

RikyR, Darren, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Here's Layla swimming to help her joints. Needless to say, it was under duress: Version 2.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    RikyR, Calliesmom, Darren and 4 others like this.