Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shelties on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by hrcarol, May 10, 2012.

1. hrcarol

hrcarol Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    It breaks my heart to see Shelties on Craigslist. Do you guys ever email these people to suggest other ways to find a home for their dogs?
    Max

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Crap! Look at all those dog houses! I know the Collie Rescue group here that I have worked with will call the people advertising and try and talk them into relinquishing the dog to rescue.

Not housebroken - this poor guy has probably never left that pen. I believe there is a Sheltie rescue in Georgia, may be worth contacting them?

I hope this poor outside pup doesn't have heartworm as well. :no:

3. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    A good part of my time is spent looking on craigslist in Michigan for shelties. I arrange for Michigan Sheltie rescue to contact them and the ones that are free they get right away. The others I contact and they do to and hopefully give them suggestions on how to get the dog into a good home. Most of the time they were unaware of the dangers of advertising a dog on craigslist. Hopefully we are rescuing some of them.

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ugh! Classic case of "somebody else's problem":
    - not neutered,
    - not housebroken,
    and I would bet good money that he doesn't know how to walk on a leash, ride in a car, settle in a crate, etc. etc. etc.

But rather than give this handsome little dog the "job training" that he needs in order to find (and keep) a good home, the owner (I'm guessing also his breeder) dumps him on Craigslist to make it all somebody else's problem. How many good homes are there for a kennel-raised dog with zero life-skills who still needs to be neutered?

Yes, yes, there's rescue, and many well-meaning people who have the time, skills, and resources to put into a dog like this. But there are many more people who don't neccessarily have those skills or resources, but would love to give this little dog a great home - if he were housebroken, neutered, trained, etc.! :gaah

But that would take work in the owner's part, wouldn't it? It's much easier to slap up a CL ad and hope that someone will conveniently rid you of your responsibility!

5. hrcarol

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    I emailed the owner. She said she got him to breed but, he's too big. I guess she's a backyard breeder. Want to know the really messed up part? I googled her name because I was thinking puppy mill. I think she operated a rescue at some point. Yikes! It just doesn't add up. Selling an un-neutered male for $100 when you used to operate a rescue?!!!!

6. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    This is the first thing I thought when I saw the picture... Backyard breeder! She may have discovered some medical issues with this male and is dumping him quickly before it costs 'her' any $$.

7. Danny's mommy

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Georgia sheltie rescue just emailed me. They are aware of this sheltie and another one listed "free" on Atlanta craigslist. They contact them but do not always hear back. This listing is probably from a backyard breeder. I hope he isn't bought by another backyard breeder.

8. hrcarol

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    I saw that free one. Glad to hear they are aware of them! Hope they can help.

9. Danny's mommy

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I told Georgia sheltie rescue to try and buy Max for $100.00 and I will sponsor him and send them $100.00.

10. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would be concerned that this would just reward the breeder - she hasn't put one iota of time or money into this dog beyond keeping him alive for the past year. That $100 would be free money in her pocket.

My guess is that she (correctly!) put the $100 price-tag on him to weed out anyone picking up a free dog for truly nefarious purposes. GSR is aware of the dog and, if they need to, can probably convince her to part with him for free (or a lot less), given that he'll be going to a good place.

Now, if you want to make out a $100 donation to GSR... that would be a truly beautiful thing to do! :biggrin2: