Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

She's hungry and stuffing is on the menu for lunch!

Discussion in 'Toys' started by Smudge, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    Does anybody have any good suggestions for tough toys that will hold up to a sheltie who destroys EVERYTHING given to her to play with?

Neither of my dogs seem to care very much for rubber toys unless I give them their kongs with treats on the inside and peanut butter on the rim.

Julie bought her two toys for her birthday that I can't give to her, but I didn't tell Julie that. Fluffy would have them de-stuffed and ruined in record time! I can tell by looking at the toys. :no:

If anybody has any suggestions please pass them along! I am tired of picking up stuffing. :rolleyes2: Also, I am afraid if Fluffy were to destroy a toy without me knowing that she would eat some of the stuffing when I wasn't looking, and that's another reason I am trying to avoid cheaply made toys.

I do have an assortment of Kong Wubbas, and both dogs seem to like them. Oddly enough, Smudge has only destroyed one toy before. In his defense though all the online ratings for that toy were bad. It was one of those giant mooses with the extra long legs. He loved it, but it didn't last long!

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Fluff obviously is a secret labrador!:rolleyes2: I have this exact same problem. Thing is Cadbury only likes soft toys because he can destroy them!

Don't bother with the dog toys, they are so badly made its unbelievable. I buy kids toys, good quality ones aimed at under 3s that have sewn eyes (Cadbury will pull off plastic eyes and eat them). They last an awful lot longer and are much much harder to de-stuff.

I bought Cadbury a Loony Tunes Taz toy out of the cheap shop for a couple of quid (it was on sale). It lasted him ages and you could play a good game of tug with its arms.

Currently in the garden are a couple of teddy bears (again designed for children) that are almost intact, except one lost its eyes.

The only decent soft dog toy I ever bought was a black panther that would normally cost about £6 but was on sale to £2. I looked it over and could tell it was well made and it is completely intact after three months (that is definitely a record for a dog toy here!).

So yeah, go with kids toys, but she probably will still be able to de-stuff it given long enough. I don't leave Cadbury alone with soft toys anymore because of the destruction!

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I was thinking the same thing. My Lab use to destuff all the toys and my brothers Lab has gutted so many toys that you could stuff a mattress.:smile2:

Fire hose tugs and toys hold up pretty well. Rachel got this leather tug toy for the Mal-a-mutt at a show and that is holding up pretty well so far, no holes and thats a miracle with her. I check out the brand for you.

SHe has also had good luck with Tuffy's toys. The Mega one for her Mal. The shelties don't put a dent in them. But she doesn't let the dogs just chew on them but uses they to play with the dogs. They are expensive.

http://www.tuffietoys.com/page/2

I have had good luck with the Godog toys with chewguard for Diva. She is a chewer but not a power house. The blue dragon is her favortie so far she has only chewed off bits the ears and edges but she hasn't gotten though the body yet. She has has it since she was 3 months old.

http://www.godogfun.com/Default.asp

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Toy Warning

Please be careful on this! There has been a lot in the UK Dog press recently about the stuffing used in children's toys being LETHAL to dogs. Apparently the stuffing is sprayed with some kind of fungicinde and when eaten cause the intestines to die off. SEVERAL DOGS HAVE DIED BECAUSE OF THIS!!:cry:
    Obviously children don't eat their toys (Usually!) and I suppose it stops the toy rotting if it is washed. I don't know where the toys have come from but I would expect it would be the BETTER QUALITY toys that have been treated in this way. It is something they have just started doing, so older toys will probably be safer...
    I don't know how much of the stuffing they would need to eat to cause a problem but if the dog is eating even a small quantity at a time it could cause a build up gradually.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard this. It is not usual for dogs to get into the kids toys and eat them. Heck. I got my Lab when I wa 13 and she proceded to eat all the stuffed animals on my bed. That ended that habit.:smile2:

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I go Emma a Skineez (no-stuffing) penguin and Liam the same kind of toy, only a fox. There is no stuffing, just squeakers at each end.

With kids's toys, just watch for the eyes. Sewn-on ones are okay.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks for the warning. I've heard about this before, I looked into it and double checked the UK CE marks and what they meant on toys. Basically a CE mark or Lion mark means that toy contains *nothing* harmful at all. Bear in mind I have known small children pull stuffing out of toys and eat it, or even if they were just sucking on the toy a fungicide could leak through and be very harmful. Which is why I buy toys aimed at under 3s, produced by recognised manufacturers and which by law must contain nothing in anyway harmful.

If I was a parent and discovered that toy producers were putting fungicide into toy stuffing I would be livid!

There may be a truth in this about toys from foreign producers whose goods are imported to this country. I once found a nasty wire in the ear of a toy rabbit supposedly CE marked. So I only buy from known manufacturers.

If they do contain fungicides I have to say it doesn't work as a few of Cadbury's soft toys have been outside too long and are definitely going green.

8. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    WE have a few we call Road kill, a Squirrel,& a ferret . They have no stuffing in them and are quite floppy and have a squeekey at each end, our guys love them to play tug with & to fling the around. although I am sure a determined dog can tear them open eventually they do really have to work at it. they seem to be pretty robust we have had ours around for a couple of years and they are still intact, they did kill one however when one got on one end and one on the other and each tugged till they ripped it open in the middle, Massicistic little devels. we bought them at walmart but I have seen them
    at most pet stores too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  9. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I've seen these being advertised as the new thing here. I thought they looked quite good. Might get Cadders one for Christmas.

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    If you get one, don't leave it where they can get it at night. I made that mistake with Liam Sunday night.