Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shetland Sheepdogs are the poster child for Gallbladder Disease!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by ghggp, Jul 13, 2022.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Unfortunately, today Beau had his ultrasound and has been diagnosed with Gallbladder Disease!
    The recommendation is for surgery. He is 6 now and healthy enough to withstand the procedure.
    I am struggling with the whole concept.

"On his ultrasound we noted an emerging gallbladder mucocele. This is a ball of inspissated or congealed bile that forms within the gallbladder"

• Gall Bladder- Abnormal- there is a kiwi-appearing consolidation of gallbladder
      • Sediment with multiple stellate tendrils adhered to the gallbladder wall.
      • The gallbladder wall is mildly thickened and hyperechoic measuring 0.19cm.
      • There is a mild amount of sediment that did move through the exam into the gallbladder neck.
      • The bile duct is normal. No free fluid is seen.
    I am planning to have a second ultrasound done prior to surgery and am researching a certified vet surgeon now.
    I found a video on YouTube which gives great information (although technical at times).

Gallbladder Mucocoeles in Dogs: Where Are We Now? April 2021

Some screen captures I found helpful...
    Shocking that using Flea Medication can increase the risk of Gallbladder issues!
    2022-07-13_19-01-09.jpg 2022-07-13_19-18-10.jpg 2022-07-13_19-28-04.jpg 2022-07-13_19-40-47.jpg

Still in shock and trying to process it all...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    Sandy in CT, RikyR, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Gloria I’m so sorry Beau has gallbladder disease but I’m thankful your such a good pet parent to get him tested so young! So much better to treat when it’s not an emergency. I’m shocked though that he’s got it at such a young age! Piper is a year older…I haven’t been working since February but I don’t think I can wait until I’m back to full duties, I’ll make an appointment for him to get an ultrasound ASAP! I’m thankful I don’t use tick medication now but I did when he was just over a year! As much of a shock as I’m sure this was to you, I’m certain this will encourage others to get their dogs checked out!
    Give Beau some pats from me, my dogs say Beau deserves extra cookies…after he’s all better!

Sandy in CT, RikyR, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Gloria, I am sorry to hear Beau has a mucocele. But I am so glad you found it now while he is still young and healthy to have surgery. I know you will take very good care of him and make sure he recovers well.

I know it hits you like a ton of bricks when you hear this. We just went recently got the same diagnosis. We are treating medically because she is old and has other health issues that make surgery too risky.

I hope this encourages more people to get those ultrasounds.

Sandy in CT, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh gosh, not what you were expecting, but honestly, thank the Lord that you had it done! We waited till Faith was 7 and thankfully hers was completely clear. Faith's aunt Layla (Brooke's daughter) had gallbladder surgery and came through it just fine. I'm sure sorry you and he will have to go through this. I hope you find a surgeon who has done this surgery often and someone you feel confident in. Gentle pats to Mr. Beau.

I've heard the Seresto collar is also implicated in gallbladder issues....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Caro, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    What a shock! Was planning to have a dental done on Zulu next month, going add the ultrasound for sure! Give Beau a hug from us.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I would call ahead as it seems getting an ultrasound appointment can take a while. Mine took 2 months!
    The second opinion I am getting should be shorter as they only do ultrasounds there!
    Update: Got an appointment for the ultrasound next week 21st!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Sandy in CT, RikyR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Awesome that you got your second appointment so quickly Gloria!
    My vet they do the ultrasounds…it’s one of their regular vet’s that does them so they just have to make sure he’s not booked up with appointments. I think with Riley it took a week to get in.

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I had to look it up; Imidacloprid is in both Advantage and Advantix. I used Advantix on Gavin :( But only a few times a year when he was between 4 and 10 (not regularly)
    I feel bad for Beau...but glad he is young enough to have a good prognosis with surgery. I was very concerned about Gavin having surgery and radiation at 10, but that as because of all the anesthesia (his surgeries weren't internal).

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Gloria, you know that I've had more experience with gallbladder mucoceles than anyone wants. If I've learned anything after two surgeries and another one in treatment for GB, it's the importance of scanning every single Sheltie by the age of 6.

You were so smart to have Beau checked now, when he can have the surgery before he's in crisis and the odds of survival in surgery are slim. The odds of survival and successful recovery for gallbladder removal before the GB ruptures are far higher, and it's so much easier on the dog...and your checkbook. The cost of surgery nearly doubles when the dog is an emergency, although it's expensive enough even if they aren't.

As I've said in other threads, Lacey had her gallbladder removed at age 9 after numerous scans indicating sludge in her GB was increasing. She had no symptoms. Checkers had hers removed at 11, for the same reason, also no symptoms. They both recovered in days, came out bright and lively, and eat a totally normal diet. I'm praying the same will be true for Beau. He's young and healthy, and will do just fine, and you'll have many more years with him.

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    What a shock! Thinking of you all as you process and deal with Beau's gallbladder.

I'm thinking I'm going to ask the vet for a baseline for Brodie when he turns 4 at the end of this year. Scary stuff. Please keep us posted. Thank you for the info you included; will watch the video.

ghggp, Sharon7, Ann and 1 other person like this.