Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shot day!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, May 12, 2020.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yuck! Brodie was NOT a fan but Kooper LOVES the vet because she comes to the house with treats and toys and Kong squirts in cups! She also brings along her vet box which he LOVES to nose through - she is amazed watching him as he pulls open drawers and checks stuff out.

Brodie weighed in at 25 lbs 12 oz and she wants me to work on getting him at 25 or below. He had blood taken for heart worm test and his rabies. Kooper was so funny, refused to put all 4 paws on the scale at once but we finally got him on. He got blood taken for a senior work up.

Visit was done on the deck and they wore masks and gloves and all was good. Low key day after since I want them both to rest and they follow me everywhere so I might start a new book my neighbor lent me.

Hanne, jomuir, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is awesome that your vet does home visits:yes:

Hanne likes this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Cooper goes on the 28th for his yearly and whatever shots he needs. At this point the Vet Tech comes out to the car and takes him in and we talk to the Vet by phone, but by the 28th this may change. Two of our Vets also care for large animals (cows, horses etc., I have seen a crate with piglets in the office and a baby goat lol) and we do have them come to the home obviously for a higher fee. One of our neighbours had her dog euthanized at home which I thought was lovely, sad but less stress on her sick senior. I think Cooper would be like your Kooper he is mighty nosey! :)

Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We had our Buddy euthanized at home. I got to hold him in the family room where he always hung out. Kooper and the kitties got to say goodbye to him. Rusty, our orange cat, who stayed through the whole thing had anxiety for a few months after and peed in my sink a number of times. I think the goodbyes are good, but I wouldn't ever allow another to hang out as he did.

I actually got to know this vet through Buddy. He had vaccine reactions and the last few years of his life, I didn't want to give him shots. Vet offices would not let him in unless he was vaccinated. I know Ann has a vet who accepts titers, but the one we were working with did not. I do pay for a house call, but she does a check up of both dogs at once and she's not a fan of annual vaccines - she believes in what is needed and will titer after this year if I prefer.

Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  5. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    That's great you can get house calls for things like shots, I love that idea!
    My vet does the home euthanasia but that's all. At the minute though they are not seeing any animals unless it is an emergency.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's fantastic that your vet does home visits!
    Riley passed away at home (not euthanasia) and Piper was around him for probably 45 + minutes (Finnie had gotten stuck in the bathroom so he wasn't around him after he died) and Piper was affected by his death for maybe a day...that was it and they were super close.
    I really think it's because he smelled it and knew. When my last dog was put down I'd had Riley for maybe a year and I took him out so he wouldn't be around. He sulked for at least a month. Needless to say he was over the moon happy when I brought puppy Piper home.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    That’s really nice. Shelby has her vet visit tomorrow for her yearly vaccines, senior blood work and to have her BP checked. We also can not go in with her. They will come to the car and get her and we will do everything over the phone. I wish I could go in. I do have to ask about her teeth - since she started on her one BP medication I noticed that her gums are growing, I think it is a side effect of the med, so I want to take her off it and try something else. At 10 I’m not sure if I want to do a dental on her if it isn’t necessary.