Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Show puppy

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by roguskie, Jun 21, 2017.

1. roguskie

roguskie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi guys,
    So recently I enquired about a show puppy thinking maybe I would have to wait a wee while for one. The breeder has just come back and said she may have a pup very soon. So my question is (because Pippi hates being brushed) how do you ensure that pups are ok with being brushed?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How exciting that you may be able to get a show puppy! Hopefully, your breeder is conditioning the puppy at an early age to a brush. We start running soft brushes over puppies from a very young age -- around 4 weeks. When you bring the puppy home, do that every day. Use a soft brush and start with the puppy on your lap. Meantime, start getting your puppy used to standing on a grooming table. Put the puppy on the table daily and treat. You can even feed on the table. You need to make the table a very happy place to be. Then, you should start brushing the puppy while it's on the grooming table.