Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Show quality or not?

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by Sheltie.Mama, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
  2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We shouldn't have to tell you if your puppy is show quality or not. The person you are purchasing the puppy from, AKA, the breeder, should have told you upfront when you put down a deposit. Breeders know when they are selling a show quality puppy, and they carefully choose who to sell these show prospect puppies to. The price of the puppy will also be significantly higher than a companion puppy.

I don't mean to be mean, but based on the advertisement I saw for the puppy on a website (that you probably found her on)... the puppy is most likely not show quality.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    You can not tell from pictures alone. You have to feel the puppy to truly know for sure. Your breeder should be able to tell you if the puppy has show potential or not. I highly suggest you discuss the puppy's structure with the breeder. She/he knows that puppy better than anyone else.

I also suggest you inquire about the temperament of the puppy as well (if you haven't already done so). A timid or shy puppy will require a lot more training and may not be able to handle the show ring as well as a puppy who was born confident. Temperament is just as important as structure.

The members here are always happy to help and answer questions, but a lot of your questions are ones that the puppy's breeder should be able to answer better than anyone else.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Words. You are better at them...

5. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Well. I didn't find her from puppy find.. I would never had made a deal if I knew.. But she says she is show quality.. And I thought she was the most beautiful little puppy ever, but someone told me her eyes are too round.. And that is a fault.. I wanted to show her.. Do you think her eyes are wrong?

6. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Will she ever grow out of it? Like are they born with round eyes?

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Show quality is REALLY hard to judge. You have to handle the dog in person and even then, what looks really promising as a pup may not pan out (and vice versa! Ugly ducklings can turn into swans too!). The breeder right now is the only one who can tell you what they think, how their lines mature, what is the track record of the puppy's pedigree and siblings. Even then, that STILL is no guarantee.

Maybe you should set the goals for your puppy that IF she pans out show quality then show her. If she doesn't don't get discouraged but rather, try obedience and/or rally. Try agility after she physcially matures. You have a lot of TIME. She can't do ANYTHING until all her shots are done. Then you have to start at the bottom with basic obedience for anything you do. A good school with have trainers with showing experience and they can help you move with your dog the way the various disciplines require. In my dog class I had a rottie practicing for show, a couple agility border collies, a couple aussies headed for rally and obedience, and a bunch of pet people just trying to walk around the block without havok. The teacher knew how to guide each person to work with their dog so that they were furthering their goals. Look for a place to train right now. Look into how to raise a puppy right.

If I personally were you . . . I would start working with Tarra. Try agility, try rally. Learn to work with the animals and train a bit. The first time you are out there training and practicing you are nervous,you do commands wrong, you don't have the eye for correct form, you use the clicker too many times, you send mixed messages to the dog and confuse it. But you practicing with dog #1 will ready you for dog #2. Then, when she has ALL her shots, start going out and seeing what she is capable of. Go to puppy school and socialize and learn the basics. Maybe have someone honest really evaluate her in person. Try showing as a puppy and see if it works out. If not, go for obedience. Honestly, you want REAL achievement, obedience (and/or rally). I have won dozens and dozens of ribbons showing Persian cats. Groomed spectacularly, physically flawless, happy fuzzballs glad to have people looking at them, perfect in every way. All those ribbons are nothing at all compared to one flawless run through a rally course with the dog that I taught to do that. In fact, all those ribbons are nothing compared to watching my first boy laying down so a blind girl could "see him" during therapy time. The whole room was in tears at that moment. Unforgettable. Keep your mind open and take one step at a time. It's about loving the dog for who it is and working with his/her strengths so both you and the dog succeed whether the way you wanted or in an entirely different way you hadn't planned.

8. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    The problem is that Tarra.. Would never win. She too smal@, her fur is short and wavy, and she is not particularly obedient..
    I am paying for a show dog so she had better pan out a show dog. She was supposed to be a show dog, but I am not sure if she could because of her eyes.. I am hoping she will grow out of it because I have seen more puppies with round eyes than adults.. And she's only 6 weeks old. I do not have her get. I guess I am going to hope she pans out with almond eyes.. Other than that she seems perfect. I just completely fell in love with her.. And now I am finding that maybe she isn't good quality.. And maybe the breeder is not good quality either.. I guess I will do agility if things don't work out..

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    These are Shelties, the percentage of "show dogs" versus "not quite" or "pet quality" is extremely low. And if you've never shown a dog, and aren't "known", your odds of being sold a "show dog" are even slimmer. Add in the fact that it's a girl, and those odds go down even more. Few breeders part with "show quality" bitches to anyone but their closest friends and co-breeders.

I don't know what you are paying (and I don't want to), but just for reference, in my area, pet quality Shelties are $900-1200. Show quality start with pet price, then have additional fees as the dogs gather wins towards their championships. Or even a higher amount outright depending on the age of the puppy. The older it is, the more sure a breeder can be that the dog will finish it's CH. At 6 weeks, there is still a lot of uncertainty, unless they've had that line for many years.

10. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Her parents are show dogs, only one is champion.. But they seem so beautiful. Neither of them have her eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014