Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Singletons

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by DianeP, Mar 10, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Anybody else raising or living with a singleton? Mindy is 16 months old now and does great with other dogs and is calm around food and other resources, but lately has been incredibly demanding of my attention, to the point of barking hysteria. Crating does not help because then she’s even more whipped up. I’ve resorted to picking her up and jiggling her like a baby until she calms. Thanks goodness she’s only 14 pounds! Just curious about other dogs who were singletons.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca was for the first two years. He was fine being by himself. Even later he liked Spitfire but if he was not around Sca was fine with that, Spitfire was lost without Sca though as he always had him around.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just curious, Have you taken Mindy to any obedience classes? Having her understand that you have certain expectations about her behavior is critical at 16 months...
    Doing standard obedience exercises helps keep her mind occupied. Sit, Down, Stay, for times she wants your attention. Getting her to focus... Or the "watch me" game.
    You might even try puzzle games... Liam had a few and loved them. Kept him entertained.
    My guess is you might not want to pick her up as she will come to expect it...

4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Coop is on his own, but every now and then we take him to our Vet Clinic where they offer doggie daycare. He was there yesterday from 8:30 until 5:30 and came home wiped out from playing. They sent me a picture of his “friends” of the day..,there was a Great Pyr (be still my heart for the 2 we lost), a Terrier and a small poodle. Yes sometimes he asks for attention usually in the evening not barking, but talking. lol. We pull out one of his balls and play fetch.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Deane - Personally :yes:
    Because you know it can calm her down

I just would pick her up
    when you can see that she needs that contact -right now

At some point then it will surely become less and less
    when she discovers that you are there when she needs that kind of contact.

6. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    River is a singleton and he is a giant pest in the evenings. We've been through obedience, and also trick class. Puzzles...ha...he figures them out quickly and is bored again. Chews to keep him busy are either ignored or unsafe for him. It's a challenge every day to keep him occupied and out of trouble. It's been a long winter, looking forward to better weather to spend more time outdoors, and take longer walks. He's a good boy, and I love him even though he's a handful. Too bad you don't live closer so our two could play some sheltie games. The neighbor dog doesn't like to run anymore, and River is disappointed as he races around the yard trying to get her to understand the sheltie ways. I'm going to get him an agility set for the yard and teach him for fun. He loves learning things and is eager to please.

Wendy C, Piper's mom and DianeP like this.
  7. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    One thing we also do (we do it every second night after his 6 p.m. walk) hubby goes upstairs with some kibble and I’m downstairs and we take turns calling “Cooper Come”....we do this usually this 10 times up and 10 down and it helps wear him out and gives him extra exercise during the winter. lol

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I would agree with Gloria about the obedience...it's not only to teach the dog manners but also helps socialize them around other dogs especially at her age. She's in that teenager phase where they tend to do what they want, have accidents or just be more bossy. And it will help them to listen better lol.
    I also taught mine 'settle'...it's just the word I use when they're getting unruly, you can use whatever word you want just be consistent. Reward when she calms down and she'll get it eventually.

KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.
  9. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy does know lots of obedience and also several tricks. We are working on settle and have been for quite awhile. I really don’t think it’s just her wanting to be picked up. It’s like she is incapable of calming herself at times. She is on meds which are helping but at times she is kind of a wreck. She was a single puppy, not just a single dog in our home. I’m wondering if that contributes to her insecurity (guessing that it does). The vet has told us she has collie eye. We have an ophthalmology appointment next month. Sometimes I wonder if some poor vision makes her worry more.

Glad to know, though, that she’s not the only one who is kind of cuckoo!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    exercise! seriously, a tired dog is a good dog :) Gavin got probably 3-4 hours of walk a day as a youngster, split between morning and evening. I think of general anxiety as energy that builds up and has no where to go (simplistic, I know). Now he is a total couch potato (at 14).

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Wendy C like this.