Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

sleeping on the bed at night

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie is growing up and maturing amazingly quickly (compared to Piper) and I've been thinking of letting him sleep on the bed at night instead of his crate. At 5 1/2 months he hasn't had an accident in the house in what seems like forever but is probably at least 3 weeks(I removed the bell...it was a plaything to him)...he also isn't crated during the day although he is restricted to one room when I'm at work, and at 14" tall he's able to jump off the bed but is unsure about doing it. There aren't any cords he could get at, just a few toys and other harmless (to him) items. I'm going to do a test tonight and see how he does but wanted to know how/when you guys transitioned your dogs.
    With Piper I didn't let him sleep on the bed until he was old enough to jump off (I didn't want him to hurt himself) but he was smaller so that wasn't until he was 7 months old.
    Thoughts?

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has slept in my bed from day one :yes:

When she by herself could jump down - she does not want to lie there anymore - unfortunately :wink2:

She has never had an accident :no:

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Call me strange, but I really never let my dogs sleep in the bed with me! They can sleep in their doggie beds right by my bed.

I had an issue with Laddie when he got a bit older challengingly me. He became really headstrong and I ended up restricting things like sleeping in bed with me. It did make a big difference in his attitude. No more challenging me. But, that is just my experience.

I would agree being concerned with Finnie hurting himself jumping off at his young age!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    My rule of thumb has been to keep them in a crate in the bedroom for a month after they seem housetrained. That tends to be different for every dog. After that, there are dog beds in my room most of them use. I always end up with one, two or three on the bed at any given time. Puppies are allowed once they can jump on and off the bed safely as long as they're quiet and don't noodle. On the rare nights no one is on the bed it seems empty!

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Forums Sage

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca was always good if I was in the room so I let him up early (if I was not there he ate pillow cases) He actually never came up in the summer and in the winter just for a few minutes. Spitfire has always been good in the house despite his general evil. So he was almost never crated and as soon as he figured out how to get up he has since (he is small). Now he generally only comes up in the summer if he wants something in the morning or in the winter pretty much all night. Angus is still on kennel duty as he eats everything that he can and some he can't LOL.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    We caved with Cooper after a week of hearing him screaming in his crate ALL NIGHT! Hubby finally put him on a bed with him. Then with us. He was all of 10 weeks old. They've all slept just fine. And they wake us up to go out when they need it.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    If you’re worried about him being able to get on and off the bed, what about adding a little stool for the time being? Elise figured it out really quickly and now I don’t have to worry (caveat she does not sleep in the bed).

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon has also slept with us since we brought him home at 8 weeks. When he was little we had a pee pad on the bed, but he never used it and never had an accident on the bed. He would whine when he needed to go out, but we also had him on a "going out schedule" where we took him out at the times he was most likely to need to (after meals, play sessions, or at least once every hour). He was able to jump off the bed before he was able to jump back on, and so he would get off the bed sometime in the night and then either whine or poke at us with his nose when he wanted to get back on the bed -- and of course one of us would pick him up (sigh - can you say "spoiled"?). I had shoulder repair surgery when he was about 8-9 months old and so Lee taught him to jump on the bed, using treats and lots of praise, so I wouldn't have to pick him up in the middle of the night.

Now that he's a dog and not a puppy (he'll be 4 soon!) he usually is on the bed when we go to bed, then jumps off and makes his rounds through the house to make sure everything is where it should be, and then jumps back on. Sometimes he stays for just a few minutes, sometimes he curls up and sleeps with us for a while. In both events, eventually he ends up on the floor on Lee's side of the bed until the morning, when he jumps back on the bed for morning cuddles (and to remind us that it's breakfast time).

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I have a ramp for my dogs to use to get on and off the bed.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    my poor dogs don't get to sleep on the bed- Destin will lay with me on the couch or recliner.......

Piper's mom likes this.