Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Slipping on hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Over Thanksgiving Gavin slipped pretty bad on a friend's stairs that are wood. So for the next weeks I am resting Gavin due to a slight limp. Things were going well, I had him not jumping or running an it seemed to be working. This past weekend, Gavin's right rear leg gave out on him while getting up from laying down on a friends laminate flooring (his left leg is the one that had surgery and radiation). He doesn't appear to be limping.

My house is has laminate flooring, but I have area rugs all over the place so me not noticing any issues is not unexpected. So I've spent hours online looking at things to help. Bought Toe Grips and these <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YYM5K4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>. Gavin goes to boarding on Friday; they will carry him up and down their stairs for bedtime, but there is linoleum in the sleep areas. The Toe grips wont arrive in time, but the other ones will.

I know I shouldn't be too worried, but this is just too much! We were backpacking in September and he did great. I have such a hard time believing his legs are weakening that quickly :(

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am so sorry Cindy that Gavin hurt his leg! I know only too well when Mr Chance and Laddie needed help as he does now!
    It is strange how we get these laminate floors to help when accidents happen for the ease of clean up. Yet, when they become seniors it becomes a danger to them.
    Thanks for the link. I have seen these before but did not try them. Decided instead to put rubber backed throw rugs everywhere! That helped.

Good luck and hopefully he will be back to his old self soon! Carrying him up and down stairs for now is the right thing to do!

Take care!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so sorry Cindy that Gavin hurt himself, after just going through a shoulder injury with Piper that had me carrying him up and down stairs for a month I understand how hard it is to see them hurting! Is it possible that he needs a muscle relaxant to aid the healing? I would suggest that you keep Gavin on leash when he goes outside to do his business at all times to minimize the amount he can run around ( I used a flexi leash with Piper) and keep him either crated or in an X-pen until he's all better. I use booties called Pawz when we go for a walk (little rubber paw coverings) perhaps they might help until you get your order although I'm not sure how long they can stay on for, may make the paws too hot.

4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    In between the incidents I was super restrictive on Gavin. Poor Guy had such limited access to the yard and house he was depressed. I do know I have to more vigilant on trimming his nails and toe fur. My goal is to get him through his holiday boarding without things getting worse. I do have the balloon socks (PAWS), I can take those with him, too. Those never seam to bother him much. I am also worried that if I rest him too much his muscles will get weaker. But how to know when it's time to start exercising him with walks and such if he isn't limping or showing any signs?

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I hear and feel your frustration Cindy...are there any vets near you or that your vet can recommend that do holistic medicine? I had actually made an appointment for Piper to see a holistic vet (an actual vet but she also does chiropractic, physio and acupuncture) when Piper made a literal miraculous recovery (one day after follow up, something popped back into place, after 2 weeks of Metacam and then a cortisone shot and a month of Robax with little improvement). If this isn't a possibility then try putting heat on the affected area for 10 minutes then massaging it. You can also try doing just simple range of motion exercises with him and slowly increase his activity level if he's not limping and as Gloria said try putting more rubber backed area rugs down.
    I found this article on doing massage on a dog and it really helped Piper (I hope the link works).
    https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/2_12/features/5218-1.html

6. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    I've been reading tons since this happened, and apparently the wood stairs thing is pretty normal for dogs and especially older dogs. The laminate could have been exacerbated by his toe hair not being trimmed. I am now looking at this as more of a paw pad issue than anything else. Structurally I see no signs of any weakness during normal activities, so after the holidays (with lots of precautions) I will start off with some short walks and see how he does and re-evaluate. He was doing so well before that thanksgiving stairs incident I am hoping it was a one off kind of thing and just avoid stairs like that in future. I can easily take Gavin to the friend's with slippery laminate flooring (with paw fur trimmed) to see if it re-occurs.

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  8. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    I actually tried something similar last night that I got from Amazon. Gavin seemed OK for a bit, but then he started walking/hopping on 3 legs, lifting up one of his rear paws. I have some PAWZ coming today (basically thick balloons). I have some already in S, but Gavin needs either the XS or XXS. I tried 2 pet stores, but neither carry them. His little rear paws are only 1.5 inches across. Since the linoleum is only in the sleep area at his boarding, I think the PAWZ might be the ticket since he can wear them only at night.

9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I thought I'd add something Cindy...I started giving Piper Green Lipped Mussel about a month ago when his shoulder wasn't clearing up with medication and rest. I'm also giving it to my older Sheltie (he's 9) and it's literally turned him into a younger dog. He's so much more active now...it's got anti inflammatory properties as well as pain relievers and used daily helps with arthritic issues. It really is amazing stuff and perhaps would help to prevent this from happening again. I ordered mine from Amazon.

10. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

May 19, 2008
    I saw your post and was intrigued enough to look it up on amazon :) Gavin is on Vibrant Pet's already, but I will order this as well. I haven't seen any signs of arthritis, but at 12 it wouldn't be unexpected

Piper's mom likes this.