Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Smooth Hair Shelties

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by Tabitha, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Many of you may remember that I rescued my former sheltie, Dixie, from a BYB (back yard breeder) last year. Dixie's sire (Weston) was a CHW sable merle and her dam (Lassie) was sable. I thought they had shaved Lassie, but I was told she was a 'smooth hair' sheltie and her short fur was natural. It sounds completely ridiculous to me. So my question is, is there such a thing as a smooth hair shletie?

PS When Dix was a puppy she looked like a JRT with sheltie markings.:confused2:

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    This is what the UK breed standard says

"GENERAL APPEARANCE: Small, long-haired working dog of great beauty, free from cloddiness and coarseness, action lithe and graceful. Outline symmetrical so that no part appears out of proportion to whole. Abundant coat, mane and frill, shapeliness of head and sweetness of expression combine to present the ideal."

"COAT: Double; outer coat of long hair, harsh-textured and straight. Undercoat soft, short and close. Mane and frill very abundant, forelegs well feathered. Hind legs above hocks profusely covered with hair, below hocks fairly smooth. Face smooth. The coat should fit the body and not dominate or detract from the outline of the dog. Smooth-coated specimens highly undesirable."

I have never seen a smooth-coated Sheltie. And, naturally, any breeder following the standard would not be breeding from one.

3. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    There are smooth Collies, but not Shelties.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Agreed. There is no such thing as smooth haired, teacup or mini Shelties. If your breeder is telling you otherwise, then they aren't a true breeder of Shelties.

5. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Sometimes I wish there was a smooth Sheltie...sure would cut down on grooming time. Some days my hair doesn't get combed but Sheltie coats do.:smile2:

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I would HARDLY consider her a breeder, just some idiot that had 2 dogs and wanted to make some money claiming them to be shelties.:mad: I took one look at her dogs and was going to walk away. But as soon as I saw littlest puppy (Dixie) I knew I had to get her out of there, I was so scared she was going to die if I didn't (I wanted to get her brother and sister too, to rehome them, but I couldn't afford them all:no:).

I'll post puppy pix of Dix later to see what breed you think she's mixed with, I don't think I have any pix of her mother (btw, her mom only had one hind leg and was born with Swimmer Puppy Syndrome, as was Dix, talk about irresponsible!):gaah

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    No. Smooth coats are dominant in all breeds, so you don't accidentally get one. If a Sheltie truly has a smooth coat, it's a mix.

Collies, Corgis, Weimeraners, Norwich Terriers all carry both smooth and long coats, but the long coat is recessive, so in Corgis and Weims and Norwich, you mostly only see smooth. They test for the long coat gene so they don't accidentally get "fluffies".

Now some Shelties may just have less hair. Think of Border Collies, which also come smooth and rough. But sometimes the rough just don't have a lot of hair, and sometimes they do. Either is OK. Smooth is a very specific kind of coat, and just because a dog doesn't have a lot of hair doesn't make it smooth.

I have a Smooth Collie and a Smooth Border Collie in my house right now. :)

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    A Corgi is also a breed I've considered Dixie mixed with. It dosn't suprise me at all that everyone is saying her mom was a mix, I honestly would have been suprised if y'all said see were pure. I'll look around for some pix of her, but I don't think I have any.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Please don't! I've seen corgie/sheltie mixes and they just look ackward. Their fur is funky looking.....not long and not short, just kinda staggered and their gate is staggered too.

But more importantly, why would you consider breeding "mutts"? What are you trying to achieve? I'm sorry if I'm asking you hard questions, but you really need to ask them of yourself.

B

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Tabitha isn't planning on breeding a sheltie to a corgi, she was saying that one of her previous dogs seemed to have a smoother coat and since she was from a BYB, there is a possibility that she's not a purebred, and that the mom might have had some corgi in her. Don't worry, I doubt Tabitha would start breeding sheltie/corgi hybrids!