Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sniff 'n' Go

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Sharon7, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    The Nosework club that our instructor belongs to did Sniff 'n' Go, kind of like a mock trial about 1 1/4 hour drive from here. We decided to bite the bullet and go. I was kinda nervous because Faith is so fast it's hard to keep the long leash from getting tangled up in stuff, and I can't always be sure if she is alerting, at least in class.

She did GREAT! So did Elijah! There are 4 elements, exteriors, interiors, containers and vehicles. Faith blazed through exterior in 6 seconds. Interior a bit longer, 35 seconds. Containers, 9 seconds. I burst into tears after that one because I'd been holding a lot of emotions in (Meadow's foot, our ancient kitty going downhill and having seizures, and a couple other non-dog challenges). And when she nailed that third element I was just busting at the seams I was so proud. The judge was a bit startled and said jokingly, "There's no crying in Nosework!"

Vehicles was a bit harder - she got the right car out of 3 immediately, but because it was under the frame on a low car, and the wind was blowing, she couldn't pin-point it. Eventually she crawled right under the bumper! The judge said "Go ahead and reward her!" So it wasn't a complete success but I was still SO PROUD of Faith!

Wasn't able to watch Eli but hubby said he was similarly fast and accurate. They just LOVE this sport! :yes: :biggrin2:

Sandy in CT, Ann, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Wow Sharon that’s amazing! You must’ve been so proud of her!
    Sometimes our emotions get the best of us when we least expect them to.:hugs:hugs:hugs

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, Sharon… sounds like the perfect day even though the drive was long.
    Faith and Elijah made you proud!
    So sorry to hear your kitty is ill. It has to be hard to see them struggle. Soft pats to kitty!
    Next time post a video. That would be cool to see!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    That's so cool! Congrats to the puppos!
    (You cry if you want to :) ) Although I did enjoy the judge's modified famous quote!

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Fantastic, Sharon! What an achievement with Faith and Eli! And it sounds like loads of fun for the dogs too. Don't blame you for crying. You have lots to be proud of and happy tears are OK!

6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Congratulations Faith and Elijah!!! Sharon - you must be SOOOO proud of both puppers!!!!

Sorry to hear about your failing kitty... :(

ghggp, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks, everyone, we really were super proud and the fact that it all went so fast.... hubby and I were kind of in a daze! Each judge had such kind things to say about our dogs and the teamwork, I guess it just kind of choked me up.

Mario the kitty is 17.5 years old, has been a good guy and lived with 6 Shelties over his lifetime. I think he has some kitty dementia going as well as physical decline. Seizures may indicate a brain tumor as his personality has also changed. I think he's our last cat. Our first lived to 19, she was the best cat ever.

Sandy in CT, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sharon, it is always hard when you see a beloved pet declining and my heart goes out to you and Mario.

But on a much happier note the nosework sounds like so much fun and your two are certainly giving you plenty to be proud of!! WTG Fairh and Elijah!!!!!!!!!!

Trini

Sandy in CT, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.