Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Socializing during COVID? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Diana Mccly, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Diana Mccly

Diana Mccly Forums Regular

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    We’ll be picking up this little guy at the end of August. I am already collecting training info and shopping lists while thinking about socializing I was trying to come up with some COVID friendly ideas. we have a few local breweries which have outdoor seating and of course the hardware stores, the beach and PetSmart (after shots). What else can you guys think of for social stuff during these crazy times?

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I'd suggest any business that's busy...of course things are different here than in the US but I'd say grocery stores (stay in your car) where they can hear noises from shopping carts, daycares (if open) again keep the pup in the car but let him hear noises from the children. When Piper was a wee pup and before all his shots I would do this. However because I couldn't let him walk on the grass (parvo) I would take a couple pee pads and place them in the hatch of my car. I was able to teach him to pee on the pads in my car so it enabled us to be out longer without risk to him.
    Also, I have a stroller for my dogs, this would be a fantastic way to go to parks or busy streets (you could sit at a bus stop and reward as noisy vehicles drive by). You just have to use your imagination but really the possibilities are endless, you just have to think 'outside the box'.

KarenCurtis and Diana Mccly like this.
  3. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    I hadn’t thought of just sitting in the car and listening as socializing! That’s great advice thank you.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    My 3 year old still has a travel potty in the back of the car so they can go potty together

Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :yuckyuck OK you're gonna fit right in here....

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I had this issue with my pup Meadow. I had friends willing to come into the backyard while distancing and meet and play with Meadow. Then I took her to shopping center and stood outside the grocery store holding her in my arms so she could see people, hear and see cars, shopping carts, etc.

A friend had also gotten a puppy so we did puppy playdates. And we have two adult Shelties so she got lots of social time with them. We did have social distancing puppy class also. Do the best you can as Shelties can be notoriously shy and timid/reactive so you need to get him out and about as much as possible. If you have friends with gentle older dogs (well vaccinated of course!) who are willing to meet that is a help as well.

Almost forgot, I did get a petstroller and took Meadow out in that every day when we walked the older dogs. It allowed her to see and hear lots of things while being safe before her vaccinations were complete.

Hanne, Diana Mccly and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    My people!

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    This was posted recently on my instructor FB group
    105603538_584966298829554_4150406785857458757_o.png

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I think the term 'socialization' is misleading, what is really meant is 'exposure'.

Have a look at Dr Sophia Yin's socialization checklist. Many of these things you can do at home or from the car https://drsophiayin.com/app/uploads/2015/12/Socialization_Checklist.pdf. Download sounds from the internet or play tv shows with lots of different noises. Find lots of surfaces around the house, you can even cobble together different things for your puppy to step over or walk on - a empty packet of chips or cereal, aluminium foil, a box, piece of carpet, a mat over the top of various things (eg cushions for softness, toys for unevenness). Even the people with hats and backpacks etc, I just got the neighbour's kids to come over dressed up in whatever the latest on the list was.

We had a behaviourist talk about puppies during Covid for our Zoom instructor meeting. She thought that a well adjusted puppy, that has plenty of positive exposure to as many experiences as you can manage at this time, will more readily adjust when we do open back up. The things they are missing the most are certain noises, groups of people and strangers. But you can expose them to many of these things without contact. As a matter of interest, puppy classes just started back and all the puppies are reacting remarkedly well. It probably helps that there are less dogs and people at the club (due to limits on groups) so they get used to things with half the usual number of people and dogs. Luckily most openings are being staged so you can just stage your pup's exposure too.

10. Diana Mccly

Jul 12, 2020
    Virginia USA
    So I was going through some videos from “simpawtico” dog training that ghggp had posted on my other post (in the hello section) and I found this video in which the first question he covers is exactly this ☺️ It’s just after the 8:45 mark if anyone is interested.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.