Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

SOS! When does adolescence end? LOL!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by DianeP, Jun 7, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Well, Mindy is 18 months now. I thought adolescence would be over by now! She’s recently regressed to behaviors we haven’t seen for a long time! Stealing shoes, pulling towels down, etc. My, oh my, just as I thought we were getting somewhere! Can anyone relate?

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Oh yes...I can certainly relate! On the plus side Finnie is now 2 1/2 and he's pretty much grown up and over adolescence. I'd say since almost 2 at least. He still acts silly and such however the naughty behaviour has stopped. Although he did sort of nip my foot today when I said no as I went outside for a second without him lol but then that's a whole nother issue (a bit of separation anxiety when I go out without him). He's gotten a bit spoilt since I've been off work! I need to start crating him again just to get back to our routine.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yeppers...
    Liam finally got a bit less destructive after I had him fixed! Thank goodness...
    Yes, there is hope!

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yikes I hope it won't be that long for Meadow! Eli was still quite a pup at a year old when we brought him home. He still will chew stuff if given the chance but that may just be something he will always do.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Sounds like a dog with Spring fever to me! Mine always went silly when the days get longer and warmer, there's something in the air that makes them all frisky and silly, even if they're fixed. You should see my cats when Spring hits - they come out of hibernation and I swear they're hunter minds are going - wow, food party outside!

You may as well just give up and go with the flow!

KarenCurtis, Hanne, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    LOL!!!!

Brodie is 18 months old and gets into trouble all the time. But that's nothing! Look at Tully and Monty!

7. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I agree about the change in weather/season thing. It starts getting light here around 4:30 a.m. and Mindy is up with the birds!

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  8. SRW

SRW Forums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2018
    Devon is two years old today, and he's still doing all the crazy stuff he was doing yesterday, as I just heard the sound of a stolen shoe dropping on the hardwood floor somewhere in the house while I type this. Guess adolescence doesn't end at two. :gaah Excuse me as I go retrieve my shoe.....

KarenCurtis, Sharon7, DianeP and 2 others like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sorry - I laughed:lol::winkgrin::pop

10. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I think maybe the naughtiness was a precursor to a sort of Mindy meltdown. She’s had a couple tough days. Lots of restlessness, barking and inability to settle. They’ve been doing construction near us for some days now and I think it really gets to her. Fortunately, this afternoon she’s been able to nap. I’m thankful because I hate seeing her stressed out. It makes my heart hurt.

Hanne, Ann and KarenCurtis like this.