Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

spay incontinence?!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Lexi, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I've been reading a lot about spaying lately because I am thinking of getting my sheltie spayed. The thing that scares me most is spay incontinence. Yesterday I read some threads on the doberman and golden retriever forum about this and some said they had for example 6 spayed females and 5 of them developed incontinence right away and all some years later. And no hormonal medicine helped either. Others had similar stories. But on this forum I didn't get the impression spay incontinence is so common. So now I'm freaking out a bit.:confused2::eek2: What is your experience with this or your friends exeperience?
    I prefer living with spayed/neutered animals and actualy is the best choice because my other family members are not to be trusted in keeping intact animals safe when I'm not at home.. If I could work from home I woudn't spay my sheltie because it is not such a big problem her being in heat. Right now she is in her second heat and it is easier than the first. Maybe I should stick with males(that are neutered) in the future so no dilema about this problems:uhoh:. Where I live spaying/neutering is not so common so usualy we don't meet lots of altered dogs.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    The person who posted about the 5 incontinent dogs should either find a different vet or a different breeder (or look at their own house training). I'd be taking that with a grain of salt (that's probably why you're asking here).

Over here desexing is mandatory (and at 6mths too) and with the hundreds of dogs I've known through running a dog club and all the other dog activities I've done, I have never come across a bitch with incontinence due to spaying. The only time I have ever heard of bitches being incontinent is anecdotes from the the anti-desexing people. I won't discount that it can happen, but the chances must be small.
    What mechanisms are people saying causes this incontinence - is it age, is it when a vet nicks something by mistake, scarring?

Some years ago I posted a research report about side effects of desexing, I'll see if I can remember who did it.

ghggp, Hanne and Lexi like this.
  3. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Yes thats the reason why I'm asking here because I don't remember threads about it here..while there they talked like it is so common.. So they said the incontinence was due to declining estrogen levels after the spay.
    Good to know you don't know such cases.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I don't know if it's more common in other breeds, such as the ones you read about. I don't think it's as common in Shelties, but it can happen. Usually though, it's later in life and is more like a bit of dripping or dribbling that it is complete incontinence. I don't think it's enough of a problem that it would deter me from spaying. Several of my older girls are spayed and they've never had a problem.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Of the 4 spayed females I've had (1 passed, 3 still living), only 1 has had some incontinence and it's like what Ann said, dripping/dribbling. And I'm pretty sure it's more to do with her age than being spayed. She didn't start to have a problem until she was 14. My first sheltie was spayed and never had incontinence issues, and she lived to be almost 16.

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My younger sheltie, Skylar, actually has some incontinence. We don't know if it came from her spay (the vet did say she's very young for that to be the issue) but she also had a major abdominal surgery so that may have played into it. It's really impossible to tell what caused it. Either way, she is on a medication called PPA and has had only one incident since being on the medication for 2 months. And like Ann said, it's more of a dribbling and only happens when she's asleep (that's how we knew it was a physical problem and not a training issue). I definitely would not let this be the reason to not spay my dog.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Five girls spayed and no problems at all. Spaying will reduce the chance she will get breast tumors, or a pyometra (infected uterus), not to mention avoid an accidental pregnancy. I would recommend doing it.

ghggp, Lexi and Hanne like this.
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Our first Sheltie experienced some incontinence and our vet at the time said it was hormonal. She was probably around 7 or so when it began. It would only happen whe she was sleeping so it definitely was not a training issue. We also put her on PPA and that helped. Once she was on the medication she didn’t have any issues.

Shelby is now 8 and does not have any issues.

I also would not let this deter you from spaying.

Lexi and Cara Sandler like this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Lexi as you probably remember - I had so many speculation about spraying Minnie
    - that I had put the whole SN in action :biggrin2:

What was the last of my l o n g list was just about incontinence, but here I had no concern
    - should it happen then there is good medicine

I will say I have never regretted spraying a single second -
    on the contrary :wink2:

Lexi likes this.
  10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I had my Lil' Lady spayed, with no problem. I had the vet do the laser way and she was
    great afterwards. My vet said Mr. Google died last year when I said I read something on google.

Lexi likes this.