Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

"State Only" Adoption Rules Too Strict

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by DaGrinch, Nov 7, 2016.

1. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    In another post, the statement was made, "... they only adopt in state...". We are finding this very frustrating, to say the least.
    We have adopted 5 Shelties over the past 11 years; 4 of them were from a state other than where I live. But now, while searching for (probably) 2 to adopt, we keep hitting the same wall - "We don't adopt out of state". Unfortunately, we live in a state where Sheltie Rescues are very limited and we are close to several other states. PA is 6 miles north, WV is ... out my kitchen window, VA is about an hour away and Ohio is about 2 1/2 hrs away.
    Personally, there should be a "Sheltie Score" like a FICO Credit Score.
    #1- We have adopted 4 Shelties ( 2 in 2005 and 2 in 2012) from a rescue in Ohio - NO PROBLEMS
    #2- We have a fenced in yard. Verified by one Sheltie Rescue for the one in Ohio.
    #3- Our girls were groomed every 6 weeks
    #4- Teeth were cleaned every 6 months
    #5- Shots and vaccinations when needed
    #6- Yearly Vet well visits and whenever we feel there was a need
    #7- Have the Vet's cell and home number (on first name basis - small town)

We would be more than happy to provide references if only these rescues would even talk to us. We keep seeing dogs available, but I don't think the rescues are doing them justice by not allowing adoptions out of state after the applicants are properly vetted. If we're completely off base with our thoughts, please tell us why.

2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We went through this as well when we started looking for out 3rd Sheltie. We spent half a year working with local Sheltie Rescue and reaching out to those further out only to experience your issue. I'm not sure they are likely to change. If Shelties were harder to place they might be more open to it. However, unless the dog has major medical or health needs or is an older senior most seem to get placements without too much trouble.

We ended up seeking out breeders with older dogs to place as we didn't want a puppy. It took some leg work to make the contacts but in a couple of months we had our beautiful 2 year old Annie and we couldn't be happier.

DaGrinch likes this.
  3. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    That should have said major health needs or behavior issues. My tablet isn't letting me edit. Also meant to say first 2 came from Sheltie Rescue.

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I tried to work with the rescues for shelties in my area. They were RUDE, not at all giving the impression that they wanted their dogs adopted. The guidelines were INSANE. They wanted to contact my employer for a reference-that is absurd. Their adoption fees were HIGHER than what you would pay for a puppy with no papers or background info about their pedigree. To me that was a red flag. I know some are wonderful places, but my experience was negative. That is before I realized/researched that many so called homeless dogs were NOT rescued. But transported out of state and taken away from loving families under sketchy circumstances. Rescue by theft. Much like the Piper story.

DaGrinch likes this.
  5. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    We looked at 2 breeders - one very close to us and one in another state. The one close to us gave us a couple options, but when we stopped by their place (which we were told to "stop by anytime"), the breeder wasn't home and hasn't even called to try to set up anything. So, cross that one out. The other breeder was way out of bounds with some issues. I don't deal with unrealistic people.
    I will say this for the one rescue we have dealt with on 4 of our girls - they are some of the nicest people I've ever run across. Totally truthful and forthcoming with any issues. In fact, I inquired about 2 sisters which are available with them. But, with the rescue knowing us and our lifestyle, one of the sisters would not be a good match. I respect their opinion, however they are also looking for us.
    Looking for breeders with older dogs is an option, but as outlined above, we've looked at that route some - but will continue to explore that route as well as work with rescues - IF they will work with us.
    My original post was more to see if anyone else felt like we do or are we wrong in feeling this way. Also, to see if there are other methods besides what were are doing.

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If Northern VA Sheltie has any Shelties you like, I'll contact the guy who helps run it and vouch for you!

7. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    Appreciate the suggestion and the help!
    I replied to your PM.
    One other thing I was corrected on here at home *ahem* - seems as though I am wrong about how many rescues we have had. In relaying to my wife my posts on the forum, she now advises me we have rescued SIX Shelties. She had a Sheltie rescue when we got remarried (yep, you read right - REmarried) 13 years ago. Well, she claims it was a rescue - she "rescued" it from my niece 4-6 years before we got remarried. So, we (between the two of us) have had rescues for close to 18-20 years.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Have you checked with any of your Vets...sometimes they know people who have circumstances that they can't keep their dogs. Also, mom and pop pet food stores sometimes get info about dogs as well.

9. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I just mentioned it because it never occurred to me to look to breeders for anything other than puppies and we weren't looking for a puppy. Thankfully, several people suggested I look into breeders when rescue wasn't working for us.

Our first two Shelties were amazing rescue dogs and I never imagined going another route because our first two were great dogs. Unfortunately, the rescues in our area area (especially the one we got our dogs from) are not as active as they were when we got our last dog 6 years ago. Hopefully that means fewer dogs need placements. I haven't seen an overflow of Shelties being listed through general shelters so I can only hope that's the case.

As for breeders I went to the link on this site that sends you to a list by state and sent out batches of emails to breeders in the surrounding areas. Some of those breeders led me to other contacts as well. Clearly not every lead was a good match, but I did appreciate having the chance to make those choices. When visas uncomfortable with a breeder I could walk away and not have it be an issue with my future search. It can be more challenging walking away from a rescue when the situation isn't right but you still want a rescue Shelties.

10. DaGrinch

DaGrinch Forums Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    Western MD
    There's a Vet tech where we go.... She has a Sheltie that is into agility. We've contacted the Tech and she's also keeping an eye out for us. She also has breeder contacts she is talking to.
    I think we've got all the bases covered. I've always been a firm believer in order to get some information, you have to let people know what you need. I spent many years writing and compiling a policy manual for the profession I retired from - if it weren't for networking, the manual would never have been finished. Maybe it's just not our time to have a couple furkids right now. I've thought of that too. It's like I told my wife, "Sometimes the answer to your prayers is 'No'."