Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Stay / Roll Over

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by JohnC, Feb 22, 2017.

1. JohnC

JohnC Forums Novice

Feb 22, 2017
    Hey,

Our Sheltie Sam is nearly 5 months old and doing great, he has learnt toilet training, 'sit', 'lie down', 'jump' and 'goto bed'. He loves food so it was pretty easy so far.

How I'm trying to teach him 'stay' and 'roll over' but it's not sticking. With 'stay' he just loves coming towards me and won't stay still, and with 'roll over' he goes into lie down but as soon as he sees the motion to roll he sits up. If I try it with treats he just goes directly for the treat... Any advice?

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I just wrote two paragraphs on how I introduce stays to puppies. Then I thought pictures are worth more than words... I just saw a kikopup you tube on stay last week and liked it... I'll go hunt up the link for you.

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta

for roll over, go slow and lure him while lying down to move his nose towards his hip. slowly, rewarding with a treat when you get about to his limit and repeat .. again, pictures will probably help you more...

4. JohnC

JohnC Forums Novice

Feb 22, 2017
    This morning he started obeying 'stay'! I did it by holding him on the lead and placing treats a metre in front, at first he went for them but i held him back and once he stayed i gave him the treat as a reward...easy in the end!

For 'roll over' he just isn't interested in following my hand with his gaze, and if I hold a treat near his nose he just goes for it...

Is 5 months too young to be teaching many commands?

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I'm a Puppy Star teacher and AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator. I've been teaching all levels of obedience for about 20 years.
    At 5 months old most of my puppy students are ready for the Canine Good Citizen Test. It is dependent upon how much consistent practice gets done between weekly classes (that are 6 weeks long, each session) Most have taken 12 weeks, or 2 sessions of classes.

My personal dogs, are started on the advanced obedience competition exercises as soon as they come into the house and prepare for their obedience careers which generally get started at 2 years.

Good for you to communicating to your smart pup what you wanted. You have good instincts.