Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Strategies for shedding, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow is shedding her undercoat. I am line brushing once a day in an effort to corral the dust bunnies and hair clumps but it seems impossible to keep up.

Is this a transitioning to her adult coat? If it is, how long does it last?

Putting causes aside for a moment, are there any other strategies for coping than more frequent vacuuming and more frequent brushing? I use a rake, a comb, and a slicker brush to groom her. First I rake, then I line brush with the slicker and then check the job with the comb. Is there a more effective approach?

I seriously don't know what I'd do without this site! Thanks in advance for any suggestions that don't leave me pulling MY hair out. :)

2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    It is probably transitioning to her adult coat. That said, next year this time she will be transitioning to her winter coat. (That's my way of saying, she's gonna do this at least once a year- maybe twice a year for the rest of her life.)

Our strategy is brush them a lot. Vacuum a lot. And buy a Roomba. We love our Roomba and call him Arthur.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome to Building Another Sheltie 101! :ROFLMAO: Sheltie girls who are intact totally blow their coat after having a heat season. That's what Willow is doing now. If you have her spayed, she will shed her coat once or twice a year after that...one light shed, and one heavy shed. If she remains intact, she'll continue to blow coat after each heat season. Depending on her line, she'll begin to grow her adult coat by age 2, or between age 2 and 3 for some lines.

What can you do to speed up the process? Bathe her in warm water. That will loosen the undercoat and get it out faster. But be prepared...you'll be living in a snow globe while that happens! :wideyed: And, of course, brush brush brush. The shedding rake is your best friend!

Calliesmom, Wendy C and GlennR like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Roomba, check
    Shedding rake, check
    Bath, yet to try for shedding control

I will neuter her but not until a full year has passed. On the plus side, she's a lot smaller than my first dog, a German Shepherd so it's more controllable than Shadow was. I could take a bag of hair off him daily when he was shedding. The poodles never shed but they would matt with a hint of wetness in the air. Oh well, if I do it right it's a time for bonding.

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I love this site! So much information :) ❤️

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    The best strategy for managing a blowing coat - don't wear dark coloured clothes!

7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I need to find Sheltie shades of clothing, a nice light tan would work for the undercoat, the topcoat goes from white to blonde auburn to black but at least it's not coming out with the undercoat.

KarenCurtis, Jams, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep, when I buy clothes now I also go for Sheltie colours!

9. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA

Ha ha ha...we did learn that lesson when we had our 2 Great Pyrenees!

ghggp, Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  10. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Benson, being slightly behind on seemingly all developmental issues, is just now at 1 yr 5 mos doing his big blow. OMG, I have never seen this much hair come off a sheltie. Granted Fillion is the only puppy I've had, all others were over a year when I got them, but I'm sure he didn't explode like this!
    The breeder laughed and said he's about to go coyote naked. Day 5 and I got almost as much off as day 1, and I'm brushing him twice a day...

The other day you asked where the preferred grooming spot was--couch? For some reason I went into Dr Seuss mode:

Would you brush Benson in the house?
    Would you brush Benson on the couch?

I will not brush him in the house,
    I will not brush him on the couch,
    I will not brush him in the chair,
    I will not 'cause there's too much HAIR!

Jams, Calliesmom, Ann and 3 others like this.