Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Structural Evaluations

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by corbinam, Feb 2, 2016.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm a member of a group on Facebook called "Structure in Motion" where people share photos of their dogs both stacked (or standing as naturally as possible), trotting, running, etc. The purpose of the group is for people to weigh in on the structure of the dog.

While I know that the best way to evaluate a dog is to put your hands on them, I still think there are some things that are visible to the naked eye (at least to an extent).

As a performance person, I find it really fascinating to start to see some of the structural differences between dogs.

Trouble is, there are never any shelties on the page!

So I was curious, is anyone interested in a sharing of photos and visual evaluations here on SF? Obviously we'd have to agree that it's hard to tell in photos, and that we'd have to be willing to be critiqued (yes my dog is the best dog ever, but she may have short hocks, for example) and not be offended.

I'm no expert, but I know we have some people on here who have a good eye!

Anyone interested?

2. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Interesting idea Corbinam...I can't help you at all, sorry...my little Sir Dash is just a pet.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sounds like a good excuse to get the camera out............:winkgrin:

4. Christine565

Christine565 Forums Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I think it's a fun idea! I'll have to try to get Sansa to cooperate for some pictures though.

5. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Would folks be willing to take pictures of their dogs wetted down? I know it's chilly right now in the northern hemisphere, but if you could pause mid-bath to take an eye-level photo, it would give an even better view of what's going on under the hair.

Personally, I have only the spaniel to contribute, but it would be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have tried to take pix of the pups mid-bath.....
    very challenging since as soon as I take my hands off the dog to pick up the camera, they shake and then the fur is all stuck up everywhere...

I'm willing to give it a shot next bath time:rolleyes2::pop

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK, here we go - NOT a Sheltie (sorry!), but I thought I'd show everyone how fast and easy it is to set these shots up. This was taken ten minutes ago. Mr. Tofu took the photo, and I held up the dog!

In addition to critiquing structure, you can also have a go at my decidedly amateur clip-and-scissor job. I'm a "Cocker as a Second Language" student.

So... have a look... do you see what I see? Have a go, and later on I'll chime in with what I see, both in this picture and in living with this particular dog. Don't be shy; I didn't give birth to her. :wink2:

Now, go take some pics of your own dogs!

Attached Files:

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that's cheating that you have help:winkgrin:
    I can stack the dog but by the time I line up for the side shot, the dog is not standing that way anymore:gaah

9. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    How interesting and what a great thing. Too bad there aren't Shelties on there. I'd offer up Koji, but we know he's all messed up....seriously, I'm chalking that up to way too early neutering (I know, I know, it hasn't been proven....but even the breeder was shocked at his height and her breeder friend was shocked at his lack of maturity, physically).

10. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it would be very educational and worthwhile to see him, if you would be willing to post pictures. The idea is not to be able to present the prettiest dog, but to see a wide variety of dogs and their virtues and faults.

This goes for all the "just a pet" Shelties out there!