Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Surgery for Checkers

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Feb 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Please send some good thoughts and prayers for my sweet Checkers. She will have surgery tomorrow to remove her gallbladder, and will be in the hospital for several days.

Checkers' gallbladder shows the beginning of forming mucoceles, an issue that is very common in Shelties and can very quickly be fatal if not treated immediately. We were lucky in that Checkers has been having regular ultrasounds (along with all of my other dogs over 5) to check her gallbladder, and we are catching this before it's a crisis.

Please consider having your Shelties checked by ultrasound after age 5. This is such a serious issue and emergency surgery requires specialized vets and is very expensive. If your vet doesn't have an ultrasound machine, ask for a referral to one who does for this.

I trust my my vet and the surgeon who will do the procedure, but I'll be on pins and needles until it's over and I can bring my precious girl home.

Chris likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Ann, I am so sorry Checkers has to go for surgery!
    I know only too well that gallbladder issues crop up in Shelties often! I lost my first rescue Billy to this disease! I wish I knew about Sheltie Nation back then with folks like you warning us ahead of time about it!
    Mr Chance was on urilsol (sp?) to keep the sludge buildup down in his gallbladder after we did an ultrasound and he never had an attack. Maybe I just caught it early and the meds kept it under control!
    My positive thoughts and prayers are with you and Checkers! Bless you both during this very difficult time! Please keep us posted on her surgery and recovery!
    Can you post a picture of her?

Ann likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks so much, Gloria. Checkers has been on Ursidiol for more than a year, along with Marin milk thistle, which is supposed to help gallbladder issues. She was doing well, but her last ultrasound showed her GB full of sludge and the early tendrils of mucoceles. I am so glad we're catching it before it's more serious.

These are some of my favorite pics of Chex, the ultimate and best ever show dog!

Chex Show 2.JPG Veterans 2 (2).JPG Veterans 3 (2).JPG

ghggp likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Awww, sorry to hear she's needing surgery but SUPER glad you caught this before a crisis. I heard somewhere that sables are a bit more prone to this problem, don't know if that's true. Will keep Checkers (what a gorgeous girl) and you in my thoughts and in my heart tomorrow, Ann. :fl :hugs

Ann and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just stunning!
    Love the moving picture of her!

Virtual hugs to you both!

Ann likes this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    You are in our thoughts a prayers. I too know how quickly gallbladder issues can occur. We also lost our first Sheltie to a large gallbladder mucocele. I am glad you found this early and are able to have it treated. Sorry that she has to have surgery.

Ann likes this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Wow, Ann. So glad you caught this early! Sending good thoughts to your beautiful Checkers. Keep us posted!

Ann likes this.
  8. lumiina

lumiina Forums Regular

Jan 20, 2018
    I'll be praying for Checkers too. How scary! I'm so glad you caught it early. I didn't know about that, so will definitely keep that in mind when my girl turns five. One of our vets does happen to have an ultrasound.

Checkers is so beautiful.

Ann likes this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Ann I will send good thoughts to your sweet Checkers :hugs
    - she is really beautiful - but the last picture is so beautiful - she occupies the whole floor :yes:

Thanks for the warning, I have to make a new "important" folder

Ann likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    oh gosh, sending my best to you and Checkers.
    I took Tully off Ursidiol because the sludge didn't settle down in the 3 months she was on it. Then I was meant to get another ultrasound done, which I havent with all my own health issues. I did ask a vet down here how much for another scan - it is $300 more than my regular vet. But now you have me worried so perhaps I should just come up with the money.
    Did Checkers just have sludge originally that turned into mucoceles recently?