Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Surgery on Thursday

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Shelby's mom, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby is 10 years old and has some dental surgery on Thursday. She has high blood pressure and a side effect of her medication causes her gums to grow over her teeth. It is now at the point we need to do something about it. Other than that her teeth are great, the vet can’t believe how clean they are for a Sheltie.

So the vet is going to cut her gums back, clean her teeth, and probably remove her bottom 4 incisors. Those have been impacted the worst by this gum overgrowth. If they see anything abnormal they will send biopsies. We know this will not stop the gums from growing and we will probably need to do this regularly to keep Shelby comfortable. But hopefully she won’t need more extractions.

I just do not know what to expect. Has anyone had this done before? If so what was recovery like? How much pain and for how long? I know she will have pain meds and antibiotics and will need soft food for a few days. I’m thinking she might have some trouble drinking and keeping her tongue in her mouth without her bottom teeth. I just want her to be able to play with her toys again without getting a bloody mouth.

I can’t wait for this to be over.

Hanne, RikyR, KarenCurtis and 3 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Dang - I know I talked to somebody who went through this gum surgery but I can't recall who. I do remember it wasn't too bad of a recovery. My lovely Asta lost her bottom incisors - as long as she still has the canines there shouldn't be a problem with her tongue hanging out. Last one who lost teeth was Faith - a couple top incisors, I don't recall any long recovery or lots of pain.

I know you're probably worried about her going under as well - it's tough these days too when you just have to drop them off without going in. I hope Shelby comes through with flying colors. :fl :hugs

Hanne, Shelby's mom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    WOW! Never heard of this before. I am glad you are keeping on top of this issue! I can't imagine how tough it will be on both of you. Just going under makes me worry! That is just me of course. Both Beau and Baron had dental cleaning this year. No extractions thank goodness. They were all fine. Baron did have several extractions last year and seemed to get through it just fine.

GOOD luck and I am sure Shelby will be fine. :hugs
    Maybe soft food for a while afterward! ;)

Piper's mom, Shelby's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Ooh, I cringe when I hear dental surgery. Hate going to the dentist myself. Best wishes for Shelby, our Shelties are so stoic, hoping she feels a lot better after the surgery.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm not familiar with this particular surgery, but I've had numerous Shelties who had dental surgery or teeth removed and I'm always amazed at how quickly they recover. I know Shelties are stoic but I think you'll find that Shelby will bounce back faster than you expect.

I've always done the soft food for about a week, and stocked up on soft treats and chews for when they can chew. Things like kongs or rubber toys stuffed with yogurt are good too. I suspect Shelby will be telling you she's fine before you know it. Sending good wishes and pats her way!

Piper's mom, Shelby's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I think I am just overly worried because Shelby’s boyfriend (an 11 yo Sheltie) has oral cancer. So even though my vet doesn’t expect to find anything wrong, I still have this worry in the back of my mind.

We stocked up on soft treats this weekend and the vet said we can just wet her current food with some warm water to soften it. Thank goodness because I really didn’t want to try changing dog food.

I think I will let her chew a bully stick tomorrow night (her favorite) since I don’t think she will be chewing one of those for a bit.

Knowing our crazy dog she will run right to her food bowl when we get home looking for her supper.

Piper's mom, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Good luck I'll think of her when I'm getting a tooth extracted on thursday

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Bless her heart -- and gums!

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wishing her the best also!

Shelby's mom, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Lots of good wishes for Shelby on Thursday...I know you will be so relieved when this is over and done with and Shelby is home and happily on the mend.

Trini

Shelby's mom, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.