Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teaching Devon to catch a frisbee

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SRW, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Just started trying to teach Devon to catch a frisbee. He's getting better at it, provided I can give him a good throw. Now I just need to figure out how to get him to give it back to me after he catches it, as his three favorite games are tug-o-war, tug-o-war, and tug-o-war.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rl5rCHx03JaX7F9vneIm9fk4yFHUvpl9

ghggp likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Looks like you have a great frisbee dog already! They get great fun out of playing it! My boys certainly do!

I too am having difficulty getting Liam to return it! Sometimes Liam and Beau just want to play tug of war with it! Baron is great out of retrieving it. But, he is five.

Devon is looking great! He will catch on in time. Retrieve is not as fun as catching and keeping the prize!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    2 frisbees (identical if possible)- when he gets really close, throw the second one. he'll drop the first one to go for the second toss. then you can work on teaching him give/drop, whatever you want to call it.......

Piper's mom and SRW like this.
  4. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

That's a really good idea! I'll go buy another one and try it.

5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We love fetch here, but when Brodie started getting bratty about returning ALL the way, I had hubby sometimes, not every time, give him a baked hot dog piece as a treat. He doesn't know when he gets one, just that he only gets it when he returns the WHOLE way!

Hanne likes this.
  6. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

Devon will bring it all the way back, but he won't let go of it because he wants to play tug-o-war.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    my frisbee issue is if I don't throw it quick enough an agile little blue dog will jump up and take it out of my hand........
    and while Cranberry will go for the frisbee, it's hard to catch it when there's a biblack hanging off his fur.....

8. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

Sounds like you are teaching them to play rugby :wink2:

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu has always from the time he was a puppy grabbed Cran's fur- maybe when he couldn't keep up, he was trying to hitch a ride...........