Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teaching the retrieve

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    OMG I'm so frustrated...will Finnie ever learn???
    I honestly think with Piper something just 'clicked' in his brain and suddenly he LOVED his bell! Prior to that (I swear it wasn't until he was 2 that this happened) it was the same as Finnie. Takes it but very.very.slowlyyyy. Won't walk with it...etc etc etc. This is the hardest part of teaching a Sheltie obedience, their just not retrievers lol.
    One of these days he'll surprise me and do it and I'm not in any rush (he's got other issues such as not wanting strangers to approach him) and it'll be probably not till next year that he's ready for the ring but please please please Finnie will you just take it and like it soon?:whistle: :fl

Sharon7, ghggp, Jams and 2 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Finnie will surprise you and get it when you least expect it! Sometimes they just need a little coaxing! Your patience will be rewarded!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    How old is Finnie? Flyer was my first puppy that did not come with an instinct to retrieve. I won him over with lots of games that sent him flying out for a cheese ball and returning quickly for a sausage... I would tease and play and tug and reward him for anything in his mouth, socks, shoe, dishcloth whatever he picked up = I traded for a tasty bit of food and lots of praise. Since this was such a part of everyday with him I can't tell you exactly when it became a retrieve. "Get it, come" was a big part of our day, every day.

You will get there, like gghp said! Keep it happy keep it fun!

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.