Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teaching to talk

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Selena Wohlslagel, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    I am trying to teach little Luke to talk.he does vocals.kind of growly speak.it worked with My schauzer Pip who went over the Rainbow Bridge at age 13. Has anyone had any experience with this.trying to get him to vocalize I love you

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Nope... I have seen many videos where Malamutes and husky dogs do it!

Try YouTube...

3. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    I intend to keep trying because he is vocalizing and I think he wants to learn.hes pretty darn smart

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We're teaching Brodie 'what does a rooster say' and he can howl/whine a sort of cock a doodle doo. We've taught him to sneeze on command 'do you have a cold?'. He's earned 2 trick titles, will probably go for a 3rd sometime this year. Training is fun and keeps their minds working!

6. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    I just knew they could learn.they are so vocal.wiw WTG Brodie.So proud of you and your mom

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I often teach talking in my classes. Talking and speaking (barking) is usually done with capturing the behaviour, so it does depend on the types of vocalisations your dog does. Deska could 'talk like a pirate' but that's not because I taught him those sounds, he would make pirate sounds when he wanted something but didn't want to bark. I also taught 'speak' as a bark - my dogs would bark if I made a raspberry sound so I captured them barking at me making a raspberry sound. However, I think it's really important to teach a dog 'quiet' at the same time and then move to treating the quiet rather than the bark as soon as they work it out, otherwise they may start barking as an offered behaviour for a reward.

9. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Thank you that's wonderful news. I knew sheltie have it in them.i am already fluent in raccoon but that's a long story lol. Now I have to teach little Luke and myself what he is commicating. What a super pooch you have. Argh

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.