Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teaching tricks

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    With all the social distancing, I know our dogs (mine for sure!) are missing their obedience classes so I decided maybe we should all do something positive for them and us!
    I came across this video (I follow Zack George) and I thought how cool is that...let's start teaching them some tricks! You don't need a ton of room, the dogs get some much needed mental stimulation and we feel great!
    I'm including this video as an example of what you can teach but really, the possibilities are endless. Let's see some videos of tricks you'll teach your dogs over the next few weeks and have something positive in our life instead of all this doom and gloom!
    Happy training!!!

Darren, Sharon7, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I attended Rally last night and will attend Agility today. Small group - there were only 5 last night.

Instead of doing our normal set up, teacher had us all out on the floor - we were more than correct in our distancing. We practiced some really interesting things!

- we practiced foot placement using a serious of round rods on the floor. If they miss-step and hit the rod, it rolls so they learn that they need to pay attention to where their feet are. For dogs that it the rods, she suggested training at least so many times (I forget how many) 5 days a week. As with a young child, they need the repetition for it to stick.

- we also did sits and stands and downs and walk away, walk around the room, walk away from the room to see how many of the dogs would use the out of sight, out of mind or how many would stay in position.

- she told us most of our dogs would not know the sit command for the word - she was correct! She had us walk away from our dogs, give the command with our backs turned, most dogs (one was a super star - not mine) do not obey the sit command without eye contact.

- we did the same with down and I can tell you, Brodie was a super star in the one command he gives me the most grief over. We did the command from afar, the hand command from afar, then walked out of sight (to the emergency door exit which is in a cubby) and gave the command. Teacher said she wished she had a video of him! That one command 'DOWN' is his bratty rebel thing that he balks at but he was PERFECT last night!

Class was a great deal of fun and I am glad I went. Might not have it last week, but she gave us so many things we could work on at home and in our yards.

Darren, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 3 others like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Lol my guys are pretty good but they do have their moments. Last week I told them to down stay as I went out the door. My mom told me later she actually had to go in the kitchen to 'break' them because they were still in their stay:lol:.
    Good boys!
    I've never practiced a sit or down command out of sight but lots of moving stays. Piper is a pro but Finnie needs a refresher lol.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    glad that your mom was able to release them:yes:

Darren, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Indeed!
    A week ago I took my mom shopping and parked the car on the street. When I had to move the car, the dogs were in the yard so I had them do a down stay near the front gate. After I moved the car into the garage and closed the overhead door I was quite amazed when I carefully crept to where they were (I have no doubt they heard me lol) to find they were still in their down stay. Good practice for those out of sight stay's lol.

Darren, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I started teaching Piper and Finnie to bow...Finnie caught on quick although Piper took a bit longer lol.
    Also started sitting pretty (sitting with front paws up). This takes more core strength so I'm doing it slowly so they can build some muscle there. I'm thinking or getting a hula hoop as well so I can teach them to jump through it.
    Refreshed Piper on his roll over and that boy remembered even though it's been at least 3 years since he's done it. That takes different muscles too so he definitely needs some practice lol.
    Boredom makes you do silly things lol.

Hanne, Calliesmom and TheDailyPainter like this.
  7. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I'm a big fan of trick training. Good way to keep us busy and sane right now!!

Here's just a few of the tricks I'm working on with Kip, from today

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good boy Kip! He's a very smart boy!

Darren likes this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Elei Kip is doing fantastically well! You are so patient with him. What a good boy.

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Kip is doing so well, you're a great trainer! The only trick Monty knows is to make me say 'get down off there' in numerous different pitches.