Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teddy lost his Groomer

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Ron Atkinson, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Well Today my wife gets an email from Teddy's Groomer saying she got another job and was closing her business. Teddy had an appointment for this coming Tuesday.(She closed down yesterday) I am currently working on my list of questions to ask because I will visit all 4 shops that are semi-local before I make a decision on a new groomer.

The sad part is Teddy really liked her and you could tell he was ok at her shop. For me the only thing I didn't like was she went through my wife and said nothing to me.
    If anyone has questions that I should include in the list I would appreciate the input.

Sorry to grouse about this but it was hard finding her and we have been going regularly since Teddy was a puppy.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    If there’s a local Sheltie club near you, it’s worth checking to see if there are any breeders who groom. Some will do it for a fee and you know Teddy would get a proper Sheltie trim. You can check with the AKC or on their website for breeders. If not, they may be able to recommend a groomer who knows Shelties.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good advice, Ann!
    I have been blessed with a wonderful gal groomer who is mobile! She knows how to groom Shelties! That is the first question and get references too. There have been horrific stories here of folks getting their shelties back shaved!!!
    I have had the luxury of a mobile groomer for years and don’t think I could drop my boys at a groomer.
    I have invested I everything I need to groom my boys and have a Sheltie spa set up in my basement. But, now that I am working I need help keeping them looking their best!
    Good luck…

Piper's mom, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  4. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I have to use a groomer, with only one 1 good hand Teddy might lose something important j/k :) I do the brushing and combing in between times .
    Teddy would be ok with me doing everything but it would be ugly. Smartest thing is over the years is I have learned my limitations

5. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    It has been along day, I visited 3 grooming shops to day just to visit and ask questions. I took Teddy along to gauge his reactions.
    I was okay with 1 shop ,it was clean the groomer has 10 yrs grooming and most important Teddy was wagging his tail and seemed to like the lady. The other thing that I felt ok about was she was booked till late October. I booked an appointment but I am still hoping to hear back from an email I sent out last night
    That means it will be 11 weeks between grooming I have never gone longer than six weeks. Guess I will be extra busy with my brush on my fur ball. I also called my regular Vet and setup a appointment to get his nails done at the 6 week mark.
    I am sure I forgot something but right now I am not sure what it was but I will remember when it's no longer important. :)

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I believe (although I don't go to a groomer myself) that groomers will/can trim nails and also express anal glands, so you might not have to visit your vet for that part once you find a groomer you like. Hope it works out!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    We have quite a few clients who have always asked us to do nails, either because its a pug how likes to turn blue when you touch her feet or dogs who just go nuts at the groomer but like to come to us. Unfortunately we recently just had to give that up. Like every other veterinarian we are just too crazy busy for nail trim appointments these days. There just arent enough hours in the day. It is a very difficult situation across the country, and we fall further behind every week.

Wendy C, trini, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ron Atkinson

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    The only reason for the Vet nail trim appointment is the grooming appointment is 7 weeks away and last time was done was 4 weeks ago. The groomer will do them at each visit but I think 11 weeks between getting them done is to long and I will get charged for an exam so it's an expensive nail trim but will make Teddy comfortable. It's also the price disabled people pay to get things done that they physically can't do.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Some pet stores will do nail trims as well and some groomers (I’ve noticed here anyway) will do just a nail trim. Perhaps you could find a groomer that would just do a bath and brush and nail trim with no cutting temporarily?

Sharon7, Ron Atkinson and Sandy in CT like this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Glad you found someone you feel comfortable with! Do you stay while Teddy is groomed? I do agree that is far too long without a nail trim - then it gets messy with those quicks taking advantage of the length and you end up fighting to get them back where they belong.

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.