Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teenage rebellion?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Sep 30, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow is resisting doing her business in our backyard. I haven't seen this reluctance for quite a while. I may resurrect her exercise pen and put her in it until she goes. I've tried walking her about in the yard on lead to no avail.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary bump in the road.

Hanne, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    I hope so too, but my last sheltie was like that. If they learn they can manipulate you into walking them if they hold it they will. At least for me I couldn't win. Luckily I live across the street from a park, so I used to just walk her over there and she would go as soon as we crossed the street. A real pain in bad weather, and when it was dark. Oh well. It was better than having her pee on the floor when I was in the shower.

Hanne, Sharon7, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    And just like that Willow gets the upper paw,

Well played m'am
    Spitfire Esquire

jomuir, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Willow is a smart girl, hopefully it won't take you too long to get her back on track. Perhaps getting the xpen out isn't a bad idea.
    I recall having issues last year with Finnie and his potty habits and some backsliding, it didn't last long but he did need some reminders plus I had to take him out on leash a few times. Good luck!

Sharon7, GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    Xpen sounds like a great idea:yes:

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with the ex pen, Glenn. Add some yummy treats too when she does go. Sometimes it takes going back to square one. Then you can elminate the pen but occasionally treat, not all the time. You have to stay one step ahead of them, just like teenagers!

One note of caution: If the ex pen doesn't do it and the resistance persists, have your vet take a look at her to be sure she isn't nursing an infection or something medical.

7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I will watch for any sign of discomfort when she goes but when we went for our walk a half-hour after her refusing to pee in the yard she peed on every tree, post and bush with no difficulty.

8. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Getting the upper paw! Ha!
    (Frankly, manipulation was my first thought--Spitfire just said it better :) )

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I too think the Xpen is a good idea. Our first Sheltie had us trained that she wouldn't go in our yard for last pee of the night! We had to take her around the corner to where the creek starts, then she would go. Other times of the day, no issues with the yard. Yep she trained us well.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've sectioned off part of the yard, and ended up having to make it smaller and smaller until Kismet didn't have the opportunity to get distracted. The other girls hated it. I've just increased the size again, seems to have worked. I just used some garden mesh, and gave enough room so they could still pee/poop walk.