Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Temper Tantrums

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by take4roll10, Jun 15, 2010.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Anyone's dog ever throw a temper tantrum when they don't get their way?

Bailey is very vocal and gets mad when she doesn't get her way. When she was a puppy and I would say "no" to correct her, she would bark back at me.

Last night, some mail fell off my dresser. She shred it into a million little pieces. When I tried to clean it up, she ran up to me and started barking and screaming at me. Almost as if she was saying "don't touch my papers!!!" I first tried saying "no bark" and she ignored me. So, I quietly picked her up and put her in her crate. She was still barking and screaming in protest. I had to squirt her with water to get her to calm down. When she calmed down, I gave her a treat and continued to clean up the mess. I left her in the crate for the rest of the night. She didn't make a peep over night.

Sometimes, she just seems completely out of control...

2. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    Cleveland use to b!#$h under his breath. You knew very much so that he was upset with you, but he really didn't have the gall to really let us have it. He would just go off grumbling.

But you knew he was ticked. You knew!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. jerros

jerros Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Vash has thrown a few temper tantrums on me, usually he will end up just sitting down and not moving when out on walks or the like. He typically does this when I've pulled to much stuff out of his mouth on the walk (sorry vash, your not allowed to chew the 100 cigarette butts you find on the sidewalks).

He's also gotten pretty vocal when I end play with him on occasion, and when that doesn't get the desired response out of me he'll start being mischevious. He'll wander off out of my sight and do something he knows he's not supposed to.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have a dog that has temper tantrums. I tell him "knock it off you baby". He is also one that loves himself a brawl. I write it all off to impulse control problems. Hopefully he'll grow out of it. He is super-smart, and I named him "Suntera Clantyre No Limits" because he truly doesn't have limits. Nothing phases him.

5. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting you should bring this up! Ginny threw a temper tantrum at the park last week.

As I mentioned in a few threads I've been trying to get her barking out of control. Her barking (more of an annoying, high pitched yap) is excitement related and she got completely out of control at the park while running around with her friends. I leashed her and tried putting her into a down, which she refused and kept yapping. I gently stepped on the leash and made her go into a down (I keep the leash approx. 10" so that if she stands she realizes its more comfortable to sit and she's been taught to give into the pressure). She kept standing and barking so I slid my hand down the leash and put her in a down again. I had to do this repeatedly. She got so mad that she tried rolling, bucking and pulling out of her collar to get at the other dogs (thank goodness for martingales!). This is the first time she's ever had a full out temper tantrum, she never did even when she was learning how to give into the pressure of the leash. If I was standing on the outside looking in, I would have felt sorry for her.

She's since been at the park again and in the same situation, but hasn't tried pulling that little stunt again. :rolleyes2:

6. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Sadie's never thrown temper tantrums but she swears at me too. Some times she'll just grumble but if I do something I now she doesn't like she'll give a sharp bark and usually run away after. Usually when I go out and don't crate her or take her with me. I swear I can almost hear the 4 letter word she barks at me. :lol:

7. Tracy

Tracy Forums Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Saskatoon Sk
    Hissy fits

Indie here,

Don't tell my mom, but I have a hissy fit when I don't get something I think I should have or when that darn garage door opens and one of my herd escapes through it. I just can't seem to stop them from getting out through that thing. If I had it my way, I'd chew it to bits but mom won't let me. I also have a bit of an attitude issue when I know mom is getting ready to go to work in the morning and dad is in the shower so no one is paying attention to me. I WANT ATTENTION....do you hear me.....I have developed this thing where I run around through the house to try and guard the door to the garage and the door to the shower stall. When that fails, I give a few good shrill barks to make sure that I get someone's attention....darn herd...they just don't listen to what I have to say and respect the job I have to do. Sometimes a hissy fit is the only way to ensure they behave.....and they talk about teenage sheltie pups misbehaving....I can assure I am not the problem!!!

8. SunChaser

SunChaser Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2008
    Central Florida
    Ok, I'm going to ask all of you....

Who's the big dog in the house??

I have twelve shelties on my floor and not one of them has ever had a hissy fit or cussed me out or told me to shut up... Why? They KNOW who is the boss. I don't mean that I have to be cruel with them. I don't have to be I simply take control of the situation by either removing them from the room and shutting the door, or crate them until I'm finished with what it is I have to do or clean up....I have workmen, repairmen and all sorts of adoption clients in my home and around my yard all of the time and every one of my dogs know when I say quiet I mean it! The new guys that come in are not given any lattitude either.. If I say quiet and they continue to bark they are treated just the same as the rest of the pack, either a squirt with the water bottle or a time out in the crate. It's not hard to keep control it just takes dilligence and patience on your part to take that minute to take control of the moment....

Hugs
    Judy

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Judy - sounds like you found the off switch Emma's breeder told me about. She could tell her dogs (and she had at least six or seven in the house and more in another room) to be quiet and they all shut up.

10. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    McKinley is this way. He just shuts up when told. No mouthing, no fussing, just ok.

But that darn Cleveland, I always blamed his grumbling on the kids. They were teenagers when he was a puppy and I swear he learned it from them. The three of them never had the gall to throw out and out pissy hissy fits, but they would go off grumbling, and Cleveland did the exact same thing. Go off grumbling.......