Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Testing night vision

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Caro, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:57 AM.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Kismet has become really scared of things and people at night. It's become noticeable with daylight savings ending. i had originally thought it could be the overdue heat cycle. But her reactions at night are over the top (she's terrified) and are just not normal for the well adjusted pup she usually is.

As she's due to start dog sports soon and will be training at night I'm worried she could be hurt if she can't see properly. Kis does have mild CEA, but that was tested at 6 weeks so maybe it's changed.

Anyway, wondering if anyone knows of ways to test her vision myself? We used to have a visiting eye clinic once a month but Covid.

2. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Fear of the dark is a new one on me. Is she scared inside in the dark too or just outside?

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Colonel Underpants is somewhat trepidatious in the dark as well.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I know Blueberry reacts to some things in the dark...some things just look different, reflections in glass for example.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    This is new to me - but I don't know much about CEA. Just what you need is a new problem. It does sound like maybe it is her vision though.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    She'll go outside in the dark to toilet, although she prefers the backyard and is not keen on toileting with the older girls out the front at night. As for inside, I don't know as it's never that dark, can't have me tripping over.

I always thought dogs eyes should be better at twilight for hunting. Tully has CEA and I know her eyes were never as good as Deska's, and Della is CEA clear and her sight is definitely better both the others. I can usually tell by who spots the bunnies on walks.

Kis is 15mths so it seems a little late to have another fear period. Plus she'll have to get used to the night if she wants an evening walk or when to do night classes. Her reaction was just so over the top last night and it wasn't completely dark, we were outside the hospital so there were outside lights.

7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie had one late. He must have been 16 - 17 months as it was right after our COVID shut down here. He noticed every little thing out of place on our walks throughout the neighborhood and needed to alert us. 'Hey, that trashcan wasn't in that spot last week!', 'There's a truck parked there on the road - it doesn't belong there!'. It didn't last long. I don't think I had a head's up he'd have another fear period, but he did.

8. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Lord have mercy on the OCD dog owners! Fillion never outgrew it--but its not fear with him. He simply must inspect the offending item and balks like a donkey if I don't let him check out whatever it is.

9. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    Sonic now 5 had fear periods until 2. He had more than most being a singleton. I don’t remember if my other guy did, he was precocious but it could have manifested as a hyper stage.

does she have small eyes? Those are more at risk for early cataracts per my vet. Sonic has them slightly. It is a double recessive gene that most don’t have but would have been hidden and not expressed in generations before.

10. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    Thought of you with this
    https://bigdogmom.com/puppy-fear-periods/
    Says some dogs can have fear periods up to 18 months although normally 12-14 months and often goes along with sexual maturity (like you suspected).
    it was interesting they mentioned herding breeds (and protection breeds) tend to have more
    Pronounced fear periods than other breeds. I had always wondered that by observation of shelties, so interesting to see it in print