Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

That Is Not My Dog!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by RikyR, Nov 5, 2019.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Sunday, Zulu & I were on our evening walk, and we came upon another dog running loose. Never seen him before. He was across the street, running, sniffing, having good time, so I figured he was an escapee. I thought we could get past him before he noticed us, but he did, and he came trotting toward us. All indications he was friendly, Zulu stayed quite, but alert. He came up to me first, and stretched to sniff Z. Zulu gave him a stay away look, and he trotted off. We resumed our walk, and the stray walked along with us, mostly ahead of us. Got the street corner to make our turn home, and I knew right away this was not going to be good. A neighbor that I have crossed paths with over many years was walking her two Bostons, who are not very behaved toward other dogs. She was about 100 feet away. We crossed the street to be on the opposite side of her, and the stray followed us. He caught sight of her, took off to check them out. She started screaming at me "why isn't your F**ing dog on a leash! I was too far away to shout back. shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. She continued to scream at me and the stray, and was shaking a can of what I guess was pepper spray. The stray decided that between the woman screaming and her dogs going nuts, he best avoid them, crossing the street back to our side. When I got close to her she was still ranting about my dog being off leash. "It's not my dog! Have you ever seen me walking another dog, or my dog off leash?" She gave me an icy look, and walked off. They stray followed us to the house. When we got behind the gate, he came up and gave me that "can I come in" look. His collar had a phone number written with a marker, but I could not make out all the numbers. Gave him a pat on the head, and he walked away. Never saw him again.

Sharon7, Hanne and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Gezzz, what a bizarre encounter...
    That lady with the Boston's was certainly nuts. Don't think I have ever seen a person walk one dog off-leash and the other on a leash. Go figure...
    Can't fix stupid as they say...

Speaking of STUPID, what idiot does not have tags on their dogs that are readable! Can't fix stupid x2!
    If you care about your dog get tags that someone can read for heaven's sake.

RikyR and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    That's a sad story.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  4. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Actually I have... me.:rolleyes2: My little town doesn’t have leash laws and Jody loves his off leash walks. Unfortunately Whistle isn’t the best at it. Actually she’s terrible. She’s been known to run away from me to greet a perfect stranger like they’re her best friend. So best that she stay leashed.

As to the lady with the pepper spray, yeah she’s nuts!:eek2:

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yikes...that is bizarre and sad at the same time! A while back while on a walk I saw a woman walking a golden (from a distance). Or I should say this golden was dragging her, as she had zero control and I could hear her talking to herself (from 1/2 a block away no less)...nothing I could make out, crazy talk lol. Out of nowhere ran an off leash dog from someone's yard and I thought uh oh so I stopped and waited for trouble. The owner of the loose dog yelled at her...he's ok...and I thought, no...he isn't. She ranted and yelled at them while he called his dog back. Bad situation all around! Don't let your dogs have freedom in the front yard and take your dog to obedience if you can't walk them properly!
    We made it home with no encounters from either dog but just made me shake my head at the stupidity of both owners.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that reminds me of when I lived in FL with my first dog, the basset mix. we're standing in the front yard beside the driveway. 2 cars in the driveway and guy across the street in his front yard says- is that your dog? thinking he sees Danny at my feet, I say yes. then we realize he's talking about a loose dog on the other side of the cars- we didn't have any idea it was there and no idea who it belonged to.

Hanne and RikyR like this.
  7. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    The stray was smart to avoid the nutty screaming woman*! Adventures in dog walkies lol.

*I have to confess to being the nutty screaming woman myself when walking my dogs alone and seeing a loose dog approach. But if a person yelled out that it wasn’t their dog I wouldn’t give them the stinkeye like your neighbor did. I know loose dogs are attracted to other dogs and will follow or harass them.

RikyR likes this.