Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The breeder showed me how to do ears

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Apr 16, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    She did one of her dogs ears when I was there, it took about 3 minutes with tear mender, so Minnie will have her ears done when I get her. I can do it! Jody told me it should last about 3 weeks. All her dogs ears look very natural and nice, one has naturally tipped ears.
    She will post more pics, so I will post them here. I was so enthralled with all her dogs I didn't even think about more pics. I feel so good about this experience. Jody's dogs are beautiful and calm, and I couldn't take my eyes off them. They played nicely with the pups too

Sharon7, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like you won the lottery!
    Good temperament is key for me. Yes, I love the look of a beautiful sheltie... but looks and temperament together win the day! So glad you had such a great experience and could spend the day with her and learn! Bet you will sleep well tonight!

3. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I couldn't agree more. When we talked to our breeder we said we didn't care what sex we adopted or what color they were. We wanted, and were lucky enough to receive, a puppy with an excellent temperament.

ghggp, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I had my heart set on color, waited 3 years, but when the time came, I went with temperament and we ended up with the puppy who chose us. Funny to us now, because we look back at all the pics of the puppy we went to see, and Brodie photo bombed each and every pic!

Ears are intimidating, especially with a squirmy puppy. but I had a breeder show me how to do with Japanese tape and I was able to do Brodie ears super fast once she showed me. With glue, I found it wasn't putting them in, it was getting the glue out after that became the issue.

ghggp, Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I will ask her about that too, she said she thought the whole process was easy. For two years I did want a small girl I could call Minnie!!

ghggp, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Sometimes, wonderfully, dreams do come true, Karen. So happy for you.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I only wish I was as lucky with Liam. He is so sweet and kind. Not a mean bone in his body. The boldness that Willow has is just not there with Liam. He is young yet...
    certainly a work in progress

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, indeed...
    dreams do come true!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Karen, I am so happy for you!! Minnie will know you when you come to take her home.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You'll be giving lessons to me later in the year then? Hoping for a full register (show dog) later in the year. And now that Tully's appetite equals Mr D's I'm thinking that chewing gum on the ear won't last long!

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.