Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The door mat dilemma

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Chinchi, May 29, 2014.

1. Chinchi

Chinchi Forums Enthusiast

May 17, 2012
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Hi all,

Just wondering out of interest how many of you have had problems with your dogs, sheltie or otherwise, chewing your doormat? My two are really good around the house, won't touch a thing, but the doormat in the kitchen is a different matter. They eat and sleep in the kitchen so I guess they see it as their room and anything that falls on or is on the floor is up for grabs so to speak. They don't chew their bed but they love to attack the mat! Plus they never do it when we are watching, they know not too :razz:

So... How many of you have come across this problem? Does it get better with age? Or have you resigned to not having a doormat at all to save it from destruction?

Ps they have lots of toys, but the doormat just seems to be the best thing EVER to chew.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Mine don't chew it, but Tully thinks the doormat is her personal table mat. She particularly likes to eat raw bones on the patio doormat, which means I have to replace it regularly (actually this summer I gave up replacing it). If she doesn't have the patio mat she uses the inflatable dog bed, but at least I can wash that cover. If I put a chicken neck in her bowl she takes it out and eats it on the kitchen carpet runner, and with treats she takes them onto the lounge carpet. I wonder if food is much yummier when it's covered with fluff!

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Chinchi

Chinchi Forums Enthusiast

May 17, 2012
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Darla will also use it to eat off of - funny isn't it?

She likes to sleep on it too. I suspect it is just Hugo that attacks it. Maybe it's to stop Darla from having it? :lol:

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We put he mat on the other side of the door -- not chewed but I found it "relocated" all over the house AND used as a scratching pad for the cats.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey has never chewed on the floor mats, but we didn't have them when she was a pup or she might have gotten in the habit... As it was she spent a few weeks of her puppy years chewing the carpet on the stairs.

She lays on our mat, but only because it's right in front of the sliding door. She ignores the one by the front door. She'll use our living room rug as her preferred spot for chewing on bones...and licking out containers.. and for cleaning anything she's managed to pull from the garbage.

6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    No door mats here but I am sure Sca would haul them all over. His dog house had a pad but it spent more time in the yard than in his house (he would haul it out to lay on and play with). I do have dog towels by the back door and on occasion they get hauled around the living room :rolleyes2:

7. Robert Smith

Robert Smith Forums Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    Yes... that's the major issue of door mat and dogs. We also have problems as our dogs chew our doormats.

Just bought doormats from Miracle Mat really they are amazing... Our dogs love them the most.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Never had a problem with door mats...it's my shoes! If I forget to take them away then I come home and find one in Finnie's dog bed! He likes to chew on the back of it! Drives me crazy, never had this problem with Piper!

Caro likes this.
  9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    No. But Clarabelle pees on every door mat we've ever try to have in our house. She sees a new door mat, that means I must pee on it. My little weirdo.

Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    they must all smell funny to her...................