Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The groomer shaved Skylar's belly :-(

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Cara Sandler, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    So I just picked my girls up from the groomer - that I have been using for over 2 years now - and found that they SHAVED Skylar's belly!!!!!!! I am furious beyond words. The only reason I can think that they did this is that her belly had obviously been shaved just a few months prior when she had her stomach surgery - so maybe they thought they were supposed to shave it? I am so angry! Is her hair going to grow back ok? I guess I should be thankful it's only on her belly, where it can't be seen, but I am so upset.

2. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I totally understand! About 9 months ago someone cut Oberon's pants off!!!!! This was a groomer that not only had been grooming him for a year or so but had groomed our previous Samoyed (also a double-coated, do not shave or cut) several times. Oberon's pants did grow back, and in about 3-4 months.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cara, that she s terrible that they shaved Skylar's belly!
    Never, ever should a groomer shave any dog without getting permission from the owner!
    I had to shave Logan's belly when he had is staph infection. The hair grew back perfectly.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  4. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Oh no, I would have been beyond furious if that had happened! Thankfully this is just her belly. And she doesn't seem to mind.

Hopefully hers will come back in just 3-4 months! It was already pretty long before her stomach surgery!

5. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    That's a huge relief to hear!!!!!!

6. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    And believe me, heads rolled at the groomer when I realized what happened!

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh to be a fly on the wall! ;)

Cara Sandler likes this.
  8. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Furious barely describes how I felt at the time. I demanded (and got) my money back and obviously that groomer will never, ever even be able to LOOK at Oberon again. We did find a new groomer, who does a wonderful job and understands that "no" means "no", even when talking about a Sheltie and scissors/razors/other instruments of hair removal!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    OMG I would be furious. I have never taken my dogs to any groomer, we bathe them ourselves. I only shave poop chutes and bottoms of their feet when the hair gets really thick, a little bit on the back of their legs during summer sticker/foxtail season. A friend/neighbor with a Sheltie has him groomed and they always trim off his pants, I think it looks ridiculous! What's the point? You got a long haired dog by choice!! :rolleyes2:

Sorry Skylar got shaved. On a funny note, (well, slightly funny) Brooke just had her teeth cleaned and they must have missed the vein in one leg for anesthesia, so then they shaved the other one too, we call it poodle leg. Every time the hair grows back pretty quickly, thank goodness!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  10. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I will say this, Honey hates being brushed and she gets so thick back there that in the summer shed when I thin out and trim the pants back. I don't mind brushing her, I'd do it for hours if she'd let me, but she gets so lethargic during the summer I'd rather her be comfortable and suffer as little as possible. I also usually end up cutting down the fur on her stomach. If her flea medicine doesn't do a good enough job keeping them off her, or another but gets to her stomach she'll pull out all her hair chewing, so I'd rather be proactive on it. Last summer we used nexgard though and I didn't have to. Fingers crossed it works as well for us this year. Honeys fur on the stomach always grows back just fine, by the end of summer it's thick and fluffy and about two inches long. (She never quite developed that majestic coat shelties are known for)

I never liked taking her to the groomers though because they do always end up trimming something I don't want, whether it's her whiskers (does anything look more ridiculous than a shelties with half inch whiskers?) Or the fur around her face. Literally I want her bathed, and the feet trimmed, and then stop. I don't even want her dried because she cries the entire time the cage blowers are on her.

Cara Sandler likes this.