Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Honest Kitchen Diet

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Wesleymom, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Wesleymom

Wesleymom Forums Novice

May 21, 2015
    Texas
    Does anyone feed their shelties The Honest Kitchen Diet dehydrated food? Wesley loves the beef flavor. Our vet said it was a high grade food. On recent reviews the chicken and turkey recipes have got a few bad reviews. The reviews for the beef flavor is mostly five starts on Amazon. Wesley can't eat chicken as it makes him sick (throws up). I am just wondering if anyone has used The Honest Kitchen Diet and what they thought about it. And does anyone use Stella and Chewy dehydrated food?

2. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    I am trying to transition my pup to Orijen (he's on a pretty low quality food from the breeder) but my sister has a French Bulldog puppy who she began feeding Stella and Chewy. He had a couple puppy parasites, so the medicines made him a little nauseous. He then had a bad association with the food he was eating at the time and now all he'll eat is the Stella and Chewy. I know he can't have chicken either and he seems to be doing great on whichever formula they have that's chicken-free :)

I haven't had any experience with The Honest Kitchen though

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    While I don't have any experience with Honest Kitchen, I would research the threads on this forum about commercial food and heart disease (DCM). I recently found out Dog Food Advisor which rates food, is run by a DENTIST. I'm sure his intentions are good but he's not a vet nutritionist. A lot of marketing of dog food goes to what will sound good to the owner - oh, if this food has blueberries it must be great & healthy.... - not necessarily true. It's been a hot topic of discussion here and at my vet's.....

4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Spot on - Sharon :yes:

The tendency is the same with many owners
    - "I want to switch to a better food than what the breeder gave my puppy"
    - "does not the puppy thrive??"
    - "yes, absolutely fine - but I think it is a bad food" :confused2:

Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla, our first, was brought home on Eukanuba (when grandpa is the Eukanuba Champion, you eat Eukanuba :lol:). After a short while, she refused it and, when encouraged to eat it, she threw it up. We've been through several foods, but we've settled on Stella and Chewey. There's a nice variety of raw-coated kibble, and all of ours will eat it (except Bitsy gets soft canned and anything else she wants).

Ann and HikerDog like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    as she should! I tell people, Gavin goes where he wants and I follow.

Ann, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.