Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The perilous promenade

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Mar 11, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I looked outside this morning and the sidewalks looked a bit wet but clear of ice. I harnessed up Willow and we went out for a morning walk. Walks are really reliably satisfying for Willow and she always sleeps for a couple of hours after one.

However, once we got out onto the sidewalk we found a nearly continuous sheet of black ice where the ice is invisible underneath a slight coat of wet. They look like damp spots but they're sheer, incredibly frictionless ice.

Willow slipped but didn't fall the second she got on the walkway. I decided to shorten the walk but it was wicked everywhere and even Willow with four on the floor and built low to the ground was having trouble. We managed it with cautious slow walking but I was thinking, as I slid my way along, that having a dog was supposed to add years to my life according to the studies. I'm not so sure. :)

We aren't venturing forth, other than to the backyard, for the foreseeable future. On the plus side it is supposed to be above freezing for most of the week.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Be careful out there Glenn! I agree, stick to the backyard while the ice melts...you don't want another fall!

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    We've had our share of that black ice this year too, some under a one-inch layer of snow yesterday that made it even more treacherous. No walking here either! And if we go to town where the sidewalks are great for walks, they're full of ice melt which isn't good for doggie feet, so walks are out here too. Cabin fever is running rampant!

Sandy in CT and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yikes that sounds deadly!!! Hope you get a thaw soon so you can walk. We had so much rain here that I had dogs with cabin fever too. Now spring is definitely on the way, it's in the low 60's today and partly cloudy. We will take a good long walk this afternoon.

Calliesmom likes this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Have you tried a large ball for her yet? Like a kid's playground ball? Or a beachball (small) to try playing volleyball? Neither will destroy furniture.
    https://www.facebook.com/mmansker/v...798380414/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
    https://www.facebook.com/mmansker/v...158697590/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab
    If she's "handsy" the treat dispenser is easy to make. Koko never got the idea, he doesn't use his feet much.
    https://www.facebook.com/mmansker/v...105312409/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I live on a hill and most of this winter since getting Brodie, we've had ice. Never in the 20 years we have lived here have we had ice like we have had this year. The funniest has been when the dogs try to go #2, they finally get in a position in a spot they feel is just right, do their stuff, and it slides between their legs as they go and they are SO offended! It's been horrible!

Be safe out there!