Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The prodigal member returns to say hello

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by jomuir, Jun 16, 2019.

1. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    I’m ashamed at how long its been since I checked in here, I spend most of my time online on facebook where I love seeing the sheltie of the day photos. Our beloved Forrest passed away in Dec. of lymphoma, it was fast. Diagnosis in late summer and goodbye in Dec. I miss him so much! Then Foxy Roxie left us this spring, she had a ton of health problems but in the end she was unable to get up or stay up; she had terrible arthritis (and diabetes, and thyroid, and bladder stones and torn acl, etc etc) and was suffering so we said goodbye. She was a trouper until the last few days. In the meantime we got a lovely 1 yr old rough collie rescue who brought some troubles with him. He had been neglected and was and still is, quite shy. He’s sweet and loving and we adore him. He is close to my husband but fearful of me. The rescue said several of the collies from his group are afraid of women. So we take our time and I am patiently waiting for him to like me. He tolerates me and takes food from me, lets me leash him etc, he just goes away from me as soon as he can. He will occasionally sit behind my easy chair which is a huge step for him. Small steps.

We have a mini LH doxie who gets on with everyone, my little baby dog. She sleeps in the bed, cuddles and is also very playful with us and other dogs.

However the house hasn’t felt right without a real sheltie so we got a bi-black puppy about 3 wks ago. She’s a pistol! Excited about everything, eats like a hog, growing like a weed, all gangly legs and funky fur, mouthing on hands, arms, ears, cats, whatever. And such a talker already. Thats what I missed most, the endless chats with a sheltie and Pepper is obliging. She and the doxie are best friends and play 24/7. The doxie is showing her bite inhibition and its helping. I’m in love with her! I want all the sheltie puppies! All our previous shelties have been adult rescues so this is just a blast.

I hope everyone is well and all dogs are happy and healthy. I might even submit a pic for the homepage one day. But I need tips on getting good pics of bi-blacks, she doesn’t photograph nearly as well as our sables did. Thanks for reading!

Hanne, KarenCurtis, Ann and 7 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I can't wait to see pics! Our Brodie is a bi-black - because of the black face and black eyes, it is hard to really capture them in a photo. No picture really captures his deep, expressive eyes that just look into your soul and show every speck of his.

jomuir, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Glad you are back! So sorry to hear of your recent losses. It is so hard to lose you beloved pets so close to one another.

I know what you mean with trying to get a good photo of a darker sheltie! Now that I have a tri (Baron) it is very difficult! Natural out door light seems to be best! If you have a large white board or sheet to reflect the light into the face it helps to! Can’t wait to see the new pictures.

I love LH Dockies! So cute!

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    tris and biblacks- best for pix is outside, cloudy day.....
    however, I've gotten some good indoor pix of my biblack with my DSLR on auto.... tried a bunch of settings and got the best results that way......
    don't expect too much if you are taking the pix with your phone:no:

5. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    I notice my better pics of her are close ups or when bright sunlight is on her. Does Brodie look better in close ups? ( love his name my fathers
    middle name was Brody and several relatives have used it on their human offspring )

6. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    Yes! Sunlight seems to give the best results! I’ll try to get some good shots if the sun ever comes back out.

7. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    I gotta get the fancy camera out my potato camera isn’t doing her justice. Meanwhile the other 2 can’t take a bad pic in any light lol. Cloudy light you say? We have that in spades maybe can get a shot this evening

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- the light is more diffused and less chance of glare..................

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome back. I just lost my beautiful bi-black girl last month. As she aged her white eyelashes helped in photos. I found overcast days or light shade to be the best to see her beautiful dark eyes. God I miss her.

Glad you got another Sheltie to liven up your life.

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Welcome back! I have a new puppy too! A 3 1/2 old sable girl named Minnie!! Bi black puppies are adorable!!!

Calliesmom likes this.