Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Special Bond Old Dogs Have With People | Seniors: A Dogumentary

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by ghggp, Jan 14, 2022 at 8:12 PM.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Such a wonderful documentary on senior dogs! Well worth watching

Ann and Ron Atkinson like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I just watched the whole thing. Wow. The dedication of the rescuers is beyond amazing, and inspirational. While volunteering at our shelter I always had a soft spot for the seniors as well. Thanks for sharing, Gloria.

Ann, Piper's mom, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for your volunteer service, Sharon! I found this video so heartwarming and inspirational too. What was so wonderful is their ongoing financial support to those that adopt from them. Many will not adopt a senior due to the increased cost of medical needs! When I was young the medical costs were so reasonable. Now, we can do things to help our senior furry friends that were never heard of prior. Things like ultrasounds, chemotherapy, insulin injections, just to name a few. However, these higher costs have the effect of seniors being dumped at shelters. Nothing could be worse in my mind! They have given a lifetime of love to us. They deserve the best in their senior years for that devotion!

Sharon7, Ron Atkinson and Ann like this.
  4. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    In their sunset years I have always found senior rescues to be the most loving and appreciative dogs. Yes, their time with us is sadly short but knowing that you have given them a home and a family for their final weeks/months/years, makes the heartbreak you know will come worth it. I remember sitting in my vet's waiting room with one of my senior hospice rescues a few years ago and a lady next to me said she could never adopt a senior because she was a very caring and emotional person and it would just be too hard. I didn't answer what I thought...which was how much sadder it would be for a senior dog to be left to die in a shelter without anyone to grieve their passing. Yes, heartbreak will come when you take on these special old souls, but it would hurt even more to know that you could have given them a home with love and care and to have chosen not to do so.
    Trini

Caro, Ron Atkinson and Sharon7 like this.