Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The waiting game

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Nov 19, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow's spaying is this morning. It's been two and a half hours since I dropped her off at the vet where she went trotting to the back with the attendant without so much as a glance at me. She's so trusting. I felt a little like a traitor, delivering her for this procedure although I know it will pay health dividends in the end.

Waiting is hard and the house seems empty without her big personality filling it up.

Update: The vet called, three hours in and said it went very well. Now the waiting begins before pick up time at 5:30. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Leaving them is the hardest! Except for Faith, mine all have looked back at me with alarmed faces when they're being led away. So nice they called you right away to let you know she was done and OK. My vet does that too. Believe me at her young age she will bounce back immediately; the hard part will be to keep her quiet! Thanks for letting us know your baby is OK.

In no time your home will feel right again when she's back. :)

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I totally understand and sympathize with you. I know I will feel the same about Liam.

I hope she will be home soon so you can love her and support her throughout her recovery as she has so graciously had done for you recently.
    I am sure she will feel the same as you did, grateful for the love and support.
    Hang in there... I know it is tough...

Virtual hugs!

Sandy in CT, GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    So happy Willow came through her surgery ok. Once she comes home to loving family she will be just fine I’m sure! Ear scratches from me and LOL (Lots Of Licks) from Cooper. :)

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Willow will be drifty when she gets home, but be ready for that to change tomorrow when she'll think life should proceed as normal! I'm so glad it's over and she'll be home soon. I know she'll get lots of love and cuddles and treats. Give her a pat for us!

Sandy in CT, GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  6. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    I know that horrible feeling of leaving them when you know they don't understand. But what I think they always understand is that you love them and that will never change. By tomorrow this will all be behind you. Hurray!

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Glad it's over and went well. Hopefully the drugs wear off quickly--my guys looked like stumbling drunks for a bit LOL

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, she's back. She tackled her food and food ball first and seemed pretty alert. However, once the food ran out she stood on all fours, rocking back and forth as her eyes drifted shut. I honestly thought she'd fall over but she didn't and my wife managed to coax her onto her bed where she crashed. Unfortunately, my son walked in and we had to work to settle her down again.

Here she is when she first got home, you wouldn't guess she just had major surgery.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...8310441--732027685112005285-IMG_2205-1280.mp4

And after that, we have this:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...18515792--8747975024232877497-IMG_2207-X2.jpg

I'm happy to report she's still sleeping.

I wasn't completely happy with the vet, they fed her canned food she'd never had before and then she promptly had diarrhea. Then I end up having to pay for probiotics they prescribed to settle the problem they created. They sent us home with probiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and some sedatives if she has trouble settling.

KarenCurtis, Sharon7, Ann and 4 others like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Did the vet give her the styling outfit?
    Why would they feed her there? mine didn't eat at the vet after surgery.........

KarenCurtis, Sandy in CT and GlennR like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    The vet supplied the post-op fashion. As for why they fed her, that's a mystery to me too. If they had told me they were going to do that, I would have brought some of her food along.