Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

There is something I just don't understand.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 13, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Shelties are listed as the seventh most popular breed in Canada by the Canadian Kennel Club for 2018 but I never see one out for a walk. I wonder if it's because people buy multiples of them instead of the typical one with other breeds. I have owned a few at the top of the list. A German Shepherd was first for me, then an Australian Shepherd, then two Standard Poodles. As much as I loved them all, if I was ever to get another dog, it would be a Sheltie.

Here's how it breaks down in Canada from 2018
    • Labrador retriever.
    • German shepherd.
    • Golden retriever.
    • Poodle.
    • French bulldog.
    • Havanese.
    • Shetland sheepdog.
    • Australian shepherd.

Any thoughts?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Interesting mix. It's a little different in Australia, Shelties would be way down the list of popularity. From my classes the top breeds would be Labs, Goldies, Border Collies, Kelpies, Cattle dogs and for smaller dogs anything crossed with a poodle. But obviously I tend to see more active breeds (or breeds that have pulling and jumping problems).

I think top of the pedigree list in Aust is Labrador, Golden retriever and Staffies. Farm dogs definitely Kelpie, BC and ACD - pure or cross. Where I live there's a lot of Wolfhound X. For small dogs it is by far anything crossed with a poodle, but also Jack Russell x, little white dogs (usually maltese x shitsu) and pedigree Schnauzer or Cavalier. Basically here the most popular breeds are whatever is currently touted as the latest 'good for families', or what I call the 'garden gnome' dog because it ends up neglected out in the backyard garden once the novelty rubs off.

GlennR likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I wondered that here as well. Shelties are not rated as high (25th in 2018 per AKC) but I can only remember seeing two in all my years in CT.

GlennR likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    They are scarce as hen's teeth around here! I get so excited if I meet another Sheltie out and about, and usually the other owner does too. Although I can't count how many folks have told us "Oh, I had a Sheltie growing up, they are great dogs". So, what happened??? Just going by my neighborhood dogs, and what all my friends have, it's Labs, Labs, Labs, then Goldens, then pitbulls and pitbull mixes, then Aussies.

GlennR, JacqueZ and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    It could be that they are mostly in the country. I never saw one when I lived in Indy. But in my little country town, there are six other people in a 10 block radius that have them, and we are CONSTANTLY stopped on walks by people driving through that have them. There is only one lab in the whole town.

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Sharon, I hear the same from so many who stop me about Brodie!

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Our AKC list of favorites here is similar to Canada, with Labs, GSDs, Poodles, Frenchies, Bulldogs and Beagles all on top. I get the same reaction as most others with my Shelties...people who had them growing up or have seen them and love them, or rave about how gorgeous they are. I think many are put off by their coat, which people view as high maintenance. Strangers are always surprised when I explain that if you brush once a week, you won't be drowning in hair and no, they don't shed ALL YEAR ROUND like Labs do, but only once!

Our Sheltie National conformation/performance show each year is quite large, drawing upwards of 500 dogs which is higher than many breeds. Breeders have no trouble placing puppies, and usually have a waiting list, at least here in the Northeast. We do have a few in my town, so they are around. I agree that you rarely see them out and about though, and hardly ever at my training center. It is a mystery!

8. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We actually have a good concentration here. Labs and goldens are obviously the most common, but we'll meet other shelties on walks fairly regularly. One of our old neighbors down the street ended up getting a sheltie, and when we were talking to them on a walk they explained that the wife kept seeing Honey running around and decided she needed one. Another time I was with Honey in a parking lot, coming out of visiting a teacher and guy in a truck pulled up...Then he leaned out his window holding a sheltie and said, "I saw you guys, and I have one too and thought they could meet!" :D It's nice to know other sheltie owners really get me!

9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    After having poodles and a German Shepherd, Shelties seem easy to groom by comparison. I bagged my Shepherd's undercoat as it was combed out and donated back to the breeder who spun it into yarn and then made sweaters out of it. On any day I could get football sized amounts bagged so it wasn't long to get a garbage bag full. I groomed him outside anytime the weather allowed.

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I know lots of shelties/sheltie people in the performance world. I see them occasionally out and about- more when there were some dog things at local parks that don't seem to happen anymore- or else they're held when I'm out of town.....
    I should poll the pet store employees about how many they see......

KarenCurtis and GlennR like this.